Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Ever Dutiful

Tonight I was a dutiful wife.

A gathering of SES leaders, associates and wives for a business/social dinner at the pub. It was organised at the last minute, giving me no time whatsoever to think of an acceptable excuse to get out of it!

So I began getting ready nice and early, so that I could at least feel good while I was out and I wore my new shoes too!

If you know me well, I dislike meeting new people .. dislike it with a vengeance. I face it with dread and I suffer internally for the entire experience from beginning to end.

There were eight of us. It was a pleasant enough evening. Dinner, as is usual at the pub, was average. I had a couple of glasses of wine. We had a few laughs and we were home by about 8.30pm.

There were two highlights to my evening. The first was checking my keno ticket from Friday night and winning $81!

The second was having one of the bar attendants telling me that I looked really nice and that she could tell I had lost a lot of weight. That's nice to hear when you're feeling vulnerable and nervous.

It's now already after midnight and I need to be up bright and early to see Adoring Husband off on his trip to the Gold Coast tomorrow. I was thinking about heading down to the beach for the sunrise, but I have a funny feeling that I won't be leaving the comfort of my warm bed after less than 5 hours of sleep.

Nite all.



No comments: