Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, May 25, 2024

Silence is Golden


 We Indians know about silence. We are not afraid of it. In fact, for us, silence is more powerful than words. Our elders were trained in the ways of silence, and they handed over this knowledge to us. Observe, listen, and then act, they would tell us. That was the manner of living.

With you, it is just the opposite. You learn by talking. You reward the children that talk the most at school. In your parties, you all try to talk at the same time. In your work, you are always having meetings in which everybody interrupts everybody and all talk five, ten or a hundred times. And you call that ‘solving a problem’. When you are in a room and there is silence, you get nervous. You must fill the space with sounds. So you talk compulsorily, even before you know what you are going to say.

White people love to discuss. They don’t even allow the other person to finish a sentence. They always interrupt. For us Indians, this looks like bad manners or even stupidity. If you start talking, I’m not going to interrupt you. I will listen. Maybe I’ll stop listening if I don’t like what you are saying, but I won’t interrupt you.

When you finish speaking, I’ll make up my mind about what you said, but I will not tell you I don’t agree unless it is important. Otherwise, I’ll just keep quiet and I’ll go away. You have told me all I need to know. There is no more to be said. But this is not enough for the majority of white people.

People should regard their words as seeds. They should sow them, and then allow them to grow in silence. Our elders taught us that the earth is always talking to us, but we should keep silent in order to hear her.

There are many voices besides ours. Many voices…

— Ella Deloria


I washed my bedding today.

Let me say that changing my bedding is equivalent to a 40 minute workout at the gym!

My bed is king sized and consists of a big heavy timber frame with a book case as a bed head. The extra deep mattress sits inside the frame so the frame hugs the bottom 2 inches of the mattress.

To remove the sheets, I have to lift the mattress up and slide it over the bottom edge of the bed by about 4 inches. This takes all of my body weight pulling in that direction and I almost bust my fufu valve every time!

I have 6 pillows - hence 6 pillow cases, 2 body pillows - hence 2 body pillow cases, a fitted sheet, a cover sheet and a light duvet.

Remaking the bed is the challenging part. 

My sheets are 100% linen so they are tough! Stretching them over the deep king mattress and tucking them in, then sliding the mattress back into place takes the strength of a Roman army.

I have two very thin, very floppy pillows (they serve a purpose) but putting them into their cases is like putting a condom onto a flaccid penis. 

I have two regular pillows that are easy to put cases on.

I have two thick memory pillows and putting the cases on them is like trying to fit in your skinny jeans after you’ve gained 4kgs. It’s a mighty struggle!

I have two body pillows *sigh* oh the struggle for a short person to slide a case onto a pillow longer than your body - sometimes feels like I’m wrestling a python. Twice.

By the time I’m done, I need to lie on my freshly made bed for 15 minutes to catch my breath and gather my strength.

That’s it for my day.

Chicken wings for dinner and footy on all afternoon and evening. 

Adoring Husband is doing very well and found out that he could have come home today!

They told him on Friday morning that he could come home on Monday but somewhere during the next 24 hrs, they decided on Saturday morning. Of course with that short notice, none of his transport options were available, so he has to spend two extra days in his hospital bed listening to the voices in his head.

At least his son and grandchildren are going to visit him tomorrow so that will be a huge bonus! He talks to them regularly on the phone but he hasn’t seen them face to face for about 4 years (I think).

Ok time for me to sleep.





Nite all.

No comments: