Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Too Cold

Here’s a story for you …

“I'm now 29 and have 3 kids with my wife, Franziska, who carried and birthed them all like a pro. Here's what I would tell my childless 24-year-old self about how to be a supportive partner during the ‘becoming parents’ phase:

1. Wifey carried baby IN her belly for 9 months. So, you carry baby ON your belly for 9 months every chance you get. Not only does it help her recover but it bonds you to your kid more than imaginable.

2. Wifey is breastfeeding and--while beautiful and fulfilling for her--it's exhausting. So, you change EVERY diaper you can. From diaper #1 onward. You will get over the grossness fast. And you will prevent imbalances and resentment in the relationship; in fact, when all your wife's friends are complaining about how absent and unsupportive their husbands are, your wife will be bragging about you.

3. Make her the decaf coffee every morning. Even if she leaves it cold and forgets to drink it most mornings because she falls back asleep while you're working or (later) taking the kids to school. She was up all night feeding the baby so help start her day in a way that helps her reset.

4. Tell her she is beautiful and help her see that in the moments when she is feeling most self-critical and hopeless about her body. Remind her of times when she achieved goals in the past. Remind her she is a superhero. She literally just moved all her organs around and gained 20 + pounds to give you a child that will be a gift to you for the rest of your life. Help her see past her body image issues and stay focused on a positive goal, one day at a time.

5. Take the heat. Hormones are crazy, both pre and post birth. She won't seem like herself every day and sometimes she will say things she wouldn't say if she didn't feel like she was hungover, caffeinated, and on steroids every day. Remember your job is to be her rock through all of this, so toughen up and keep perspective when her tongue is sharper than you know her best self intends. Normal will return soon and you want her to be grateful that you kept it together when she wasn't, not resentful and disappointed that you hijacked her emotions by making her problems yours.”


How was my day you ask?

It started out very cold! 6°C

Heart of Gold texted an offer of a ride to meditation and I needed to be ready for pick up at 7.45am.

I was still in my warm toasty bed at 7.15am!

It was so hard to slide out into the cool crisp air and I left myself very little time so it was a real rush to get ready.

Harley was not happy about me leaving without playing with him, but apparently, BGWLBH and Adoring Husband played with him after I left.

Meditation was fantastic and The Gypsy and I chatted for 90 minutes afterwards.

I was starving hungry when I arrived home so I made a chicken and tomato relish toasty with a cup of tea and cozied up in the lounge room to watch last nights episode of MasterChef.

I took the time to play with Harley before my quiz shows.

I cleaned the shop loos for AH.

Crumbed chicken and salad for dinner.

Some trivia.

Now it’s almost 11.30pm and there is definitely a chill in the air. Thank goodness I don’t have to leave my bed too early tomorrow!




Nite all.

No comments: