Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

One Birdie ALL Day!

No!  Not me!  Adoring Husband did it of course!

Today, we played eighteen holes of golf at the Hyatt Regency Coolum, which is where the Australian PGA is held.  Adoring Husband was so excited about this, that his enthusiasm rubbed off on me and I was excited too!

We drove up the long driveway to where the concierge opened the car door for me.  We dropped off our golf gear while Adoring Husband parked the car and then made our way to the pro shop.  This is where we checked in for our game and were issued instructions about the carts and where to tee off.

Considering how expensive it is to play on this course, I was very surprised by how busy it was.  Carts were queued up at the first tee and they were sending people off in groups of four, which meant that Adoring Husband and I were paired with another two people.

Bob and Peter were our golfing buddies for the day.  Bob had just bought into a pre-existing membership, and told us that it entitled him to 40-50% off his games.  I'm guessing he was in his late sixties and he was a very tall, fit and strong man.  He was about three inches, at least, taller than Adoring Husband, who is six feet tall.

He was a lovely old bloke who was very helpful explaining each hole and where the tricky parts were and he was very patient with my game.  He was encouraging and funny while I had the WORST game EVER!

His son, Peter, would only have been in his early thirties and was even nicer than Bob.  He quietly told me to relax and enjoy the game and not worry about them being there ... after I had told him that I was feeling a bit under pressure playing with three big-hitting males.

The course is VERY tough, which is why they have the PGA there.  All three men lost, on average, about a dozen golf balls each.  I lost four!  There are water hazards on all but two holes and a couple of them are almost impossible for females to hit over.

Adoring Husband played the best hole of the day with his birdie.  Even though the other men were BIG hitters, they weren't very accurate, HOWEVER, they made a tough day of golf much more pleasurable and I thanked them for that when we parted company.

This afternoon, as exhausted as we were, the Noosa National Park beckoned us and we drove out there with Bob (Bob, the Canon camera, in case you forgot).

There, in the wild, perched high in a eucalyptus tree, was this gorgeous little fellow ...



Neither Adoring Husband or I, have ever seen a Koala in it's natural habitat before.  We've seen them in wildlife parks and zoos and we've even held one, but this was more exciting for us than any of those experiences!  How amazing!

We've had a great day!  There was only one birdie all day ... and a koala :o)  

Life is good!
  

2 comments:

eljaih said...

so what was the reason why barry owes me??

Age said...

It's coming! He thinks I've forgotten ... but when he least expects it!! BTW His name is Adoring Husband ... not Barry!