Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Hilarity

The Nikonian is here.

I can't believe that it's been so long since we caught up!

I have asked her to do a photo shoot, with me as the subject, so that I have some pics of myself to put on my website. I feel so awkward on the wrong side of the camera and she is working so hard to make me relax .. but I'm terrible!!

She offers fantastic instructions and I'm trying really hard, but I'm very self conscious and I struggle to smile unless I have something in particular to smile about! She sings, she jokes, she makes rude suggestions .. I must be the worst subject she has ever had to shoot!

We were traipsing through heavy bush and long grasses, leaning against blackened trees and fallen tree trunks, climbing gates and sitting on grassy knolls while trying to capture the lovely afternoon light.

Tomorrow morning, we'll be up at the crack of dawn to catch the sunrise and then get some more pics in the lovely morning light on the beach.

I feel very sorry for The Nikonian, but if she can't get many usable shots this time, we will try again in a few months .. one day, I might get so used to it, that I'll actually relax and enjoy the process.

Perhaps I need to practise in front of the mirror!!

Anyway, it's been a lot of fun. We've giggled a lot, enjoyed some wine, ate a delicious dinner, caught up with family news, discussed politics, made fun of each other .. and others .. reminisced about photography friends and suggested a possible future holiday together.

She retired early and here I am, still up at 11pm .. knowing full well that I need to make myself presentable for a shoot at 4.30 tomorrow morning AND I still have to pack to go to the Sunny Coast!

It would be a smart move for me to go to bed now.

So ..

Nite all.

 

No comments: