Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Australia Day 2012

It was a quiet affair.

The weather held off, but it still looked threatening for most of the day.  The ground at the local park was too wet to be comfortable, so our Australia Day barbecue was transferred to Mrs Bucket's house.

The gathering was much smaller than usual, but it was a very pleasant day and it was really nice to catch up with Woman of Many Talents and Aussie H.  I met a new resident of the town and spent time with a couple of other ladies who are always friendly and good value at a party.

We were home again by 3.30pm.

This morning on my early morning ride, I was able to get three shots from my list of 104 things.

Frog - Photo 4 of 104
Power Lines - Photo 5 of 104
Blossoms on a Path - Photo 6 of 104
I was very excited when I got home, to sit at my laptop and play with these.  I was almost an hour late to the barbecue so that I could get them finished.

While pedalling around town today, I was thinking about how much I love my photography and how I see everything around me, in a whole new light.

I notice the smallest of things.  For example, I was sitting at the Seat of Knowledge talking to the boys when I caught the slightest movement out the corner of my eye.  When I turned to take a look, I saw the little frog, about 6 metres away, climbing up the rail of a set of steps that lead down to the beach.

The rail was in the shade of a massive fig tree on a dark cloudy day, so there was very little light.  It was just the smallest movement because the frog is only about 6 cms long, if that.

I pedal the same route around town every day and so I have become familiar with every tree, every bush, every rock and I can pedal looking up into the trees, knowing exactly where I am going.

Because I am so familiar with everything around me, I notice the smallest changes - even the silhouette of a different bird in the trees, attracts my attention, and I am always listening to the sounds of nature, and I can hear the softest chirps, whistles, tweets and flutters as I ride past the thick scrub.

I instinctively know when something is different and I go investigating.

Often I am too heavy footed or too fast across the ground and I frighten off whatever bird or critter I am in pursuit of and it will go scuttling off into the bush or fly high across the trees out of sight.

I am an opportunistic photographer and rely on the element of surprise to capture most of my photographs.

Sometimes, I will plan what I want to photograph and go to a specific spot to lie in wait, knowing, for example, that a certain type of bird likes that particular territory.

But that is rare, because I am not a very patient person.

Every morning when I wake up, I feel excited about what possible photographic opportunities are going to come my way, and I can't wait to get out the door and on my way with my camera in my trike basket.

I still have so much to learn about my camera, taking photographs and editing but I have enjoyed every second, so far, and am absolutely loving every bit of the learning process.  It's a thrill that I hope never wanes for me.

The other thrill I get, is sharing my shots with friends and family who are also talented in this area, and meeting new like-minded people through our flickr group.

It all started when Adoring Husband bought me my first good quality camera - the little Sony 200a and Vegan Chickie, who is a talented photographer, suggesting we have 'photo of the day'.

That planted the seed and I haven't looked back.

When I post my shots onto facebook, flickr and here, I am constantly thrilled with the positive comments that I receive and to get that kind of feedback for something that I love so much gives me the biggest buzz.

So, to finish off for tonight, my friend Rupert the Tawny Frogmouth came back for a visit today ...

Rupert
Just look at those amazing eyes.  I talked to him for about five minutes before I started to feel a bit self conscious and said goodbye before the 'men in white coats' could turn up and carry me away!

Today has been a good day.  Tonight there is thunder rolling in the distance and there have been storm warnings all afternoon and evening, so I hope it's not too eventful in the storm department!

Nite all.

No comments: