Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, July 23, 2023

Funny Insults

These insults are from an era before the English language got boiled down to  4-letter words. Insults then, had some class! 

1.  "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play.  Bring a  friend … if you have one."

     - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill.  

 "Cannot possibly attend first night, I will attend the second...If  there is one."  -  Winston Churchill, in response.   

2.   A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease."

     "That depends, Sir," said Disraeli, "whether I embrace your policies or your mistress." 

3. "He had delusions of adequacy."  -  Walter Kerr 

4. "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."  -  Clarence Darrow

5. "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."

     -  William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway). 

6. "Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it."  -  Moses Hadas

7. "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."  -  Mark Twain

8. "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.." -  Oscar Wilde 

9. "I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here."  -  Stephen Bishop

10. "He is a self-made man and worships his creator."  -  John Bright

11. "I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial."  -  Irvin S. Cobb 

12. "He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others."  -  Samuel Johnson 

13.  "He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up."  -  Paul  Keating

14.  "In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily."  -  Charles, Count Talleyrand

15.  "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him."  -  Forrest Tucker 

16.  "Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?"  -  Mark Twain 

17. "His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork."  -  Mae West

18.  "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."  -  Oscar Wilde

19. "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."  -  Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

20.  "He has Van Gogh's ear for music."  -  Billy Wilder

21. "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.  But this wasn't  it."  -  Groucho  Marx.

22."He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."  -  Winston Churchill

Some of those are fabulous and some, not so much 😋

I threw the ball for Harley 248 times this morning.

I calculated that he ran 5 kms.

He did a full run around the pool 108 times - it’s approximately 25 metres each run = 2.7 kms

He did 140 runs across or along the pool - it’s approximately 16 metres return either way = 2.24 kms

AND he swam 15 full laps of the pool = 120 metres.

He still wasn’t worn out because BGWLBH kicked his ball around the yard with him a couple of dozen times later in the morning.

This afternoon I spent another 20 minutes throwing his soccer ball around the yard.

He certainly gets plenty of exercise!

I received a call from Rebel Mardi this afternoon and we chatted for about 45 minutes. I miss her. It was lovely to catch up with all her news and to hear her friendly voice. I wish we lived closer for hugs and coffee.

Nothing else of interest. Footy. Cooking. 

Tomorrow will include a six hour power outage so BGWLBH and I will be heading into The Bay to avoid the discomfort while Adoring Husband stays home with Harley.

It’s now 11pm so sleep time for me.







Nite all.

No comments: