Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

It was the best of times. It was the Worst of times.

After spending a bit over an hour at the 'Seat of Knowledge' this morning, I went searching along the river for a turtle that Gentleman Jim, and a couple of walkers, had seen earlier in the morning.

On my first search, I found nothing, so I selected a seat in the shade, right on the river bank and sat with my camera at the ready.

Within ten minutes, I saw a large shadow in the water, just up from me, so I stood up and watched and waited ...


I had also noticed during the morning, that sting rays were jumping out of the river.  They jump a couple of feet out of the water, and have been known to jump INTO boats in the past.

So I decided to ride along the river and attempt, with a lot of luck, to capture a shot of one in flight.

No such luck, but found these instead ...


They were quite a way out, so I couldn't get great shots of them.  A mother and baby and another three dolphins in the pod, but sadly, at no time did all of them come to the surface at the same time.

As I pedalled away from the beach and towards the Post Office to check my mail, I came across this little fellow ...


He was too big to fit through the grid, but appeared to be sunning himself in this position.

I then ran into Aussie H on the way to the Post Office, so after we checked our mail and did a little shopping, we pedalled home together.

I left her at her driveway and as I got to my street, instead of turning the corner towards my house, I looked up the street ahead and noticed a large tree.

Over the past couple of years, I had heard stories of owls nesting in this tree, and I had never gone to investigate.  Today, I decided that I should.

This is what greeted me ...

Father Owl
Mother and one baby
Three adorable little babies!
I was positively beside myself with excitement when I saw these three babies!!

After all of that excitement, when I got home, I discovered a message in my facebook inbox from a friend in my old town.

My old boss and dear friend, had a major stroke at work this morning and is currently in hospital on life support.  They suspect a brain tumour.

After her mother and three sons arrive and are gathered together, the Drs will be turning off the life support.

She is only 47 years of age.  She is a happy, loving, caring, supportive and loyal friend to so many of us.  As a boss, she was fair and just, as well as empathetic and sympathetic and she felt more like family, than a friend.

She has been a part of my life for almost twenty years and she is one of the most amazing women I have ever known.  I am praying for a miracle, hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

My day has been the best of times and the worst of times.

Nite all.

No comments: