Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Thank Goodness for Xmas Orders!

I arrived at the markets wondering whether my stall spot would still be available, because I missed last month and hadn't made contact with the organisers.

It was a relief to see that nobody had taken my position and pleasing to see that the SES (State Emergency Services) had set up their barbecue/food stall beside me.

That would bring more people near my stall surely??

Across the way was a young man busking.  He played guitar and sang.  He wasn't bad, but he sang the same three songs over and over and over.  He only stayed til 10am and made a bit of money because it took a while for him to pick up the coins from his guitar case, one by one.

The music student who has been busking at the markets for over a year wasn't there today.  He has been trying to raise money for a special event that was coming up (I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I can't remember what that event was), so perhaps the special event is happening as we speak?

I do know that if I sold tricycles, I would make a killing.  Every month at the markets, we have at least six people making enquiries about our trikes - how much they cost, where they can be purchased, how easy/difficult they are to ride etc etc.

Perhaps I should do some research into second had trikes and expand my business!

It seems that every month the number of stalls is decreasing at our little markets.  I don't hold much hope for the future of our market.

Today, there were stalls selling second hand toys, hand-made ironing board covers, wind chimes, leather hats and belts, plants, 4 jewellery stalls, garden wall plaques, home-made cakes and slices, fresh fruit n veggies and the other usual odds n ends.

The only stall that sold anything was the SES barbecue stall.  The other stall holders, like me, were looking very sad and forlorn at the end of the morning.

It was a beautiful day.  The sun was shining, the birds were singing and there was a lovely cool breeze making the wind chimes on the stall behind me sing, and it carried the delicious aroma of bacon and eggs across from the SES stall.

There were quite a few people walking through the markets today, and I had more people than usual stopping to look, but nobody wanted to buy.

I will do one more market day, next month (the final one before Christmas),  but after that, I will withdraw from the markets.

I do enough business through my facebook page, my relatives and my friends, to keep me busy enough.

We did discuss, today, the idea of selling my framed photographs on the stall WITH the jewellery.  I guess that's an option.

Anyway, a new neighbour from my street, stopped at my stall and asked me to drop by her house and take a photo of a flowering plant in her garden.  She wasn't sure what it was called, but it was so lovely, she wanted a record of it and a photo to send to friends and family.

I think it's from the 'ginger' family.
So I did that, and got to know her a little better and met her dog, two cats and four birds.  They seem like a nice couple.

In a nutshell, I missed out on a morning with my little Chicklet, to sit at the markets and watch people NOT buy anything.  I DID catch up with some locals, who I hadn't seen for a while and I DID make a new friend.  I DID get to spend some time with Aussie H.

Apart from a day of nil sales, it was a happy, friendly day.  Thank goodness for Christmas orders!

Nite all.

No comments: