Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Caution: Sadness Within

Dianne Beer   24th April 1964 - 13th November 2011

The depth of sadness that I am feeling after the loss of my friend today, is overwhelming.  My heart feels so heavy and the tears come and go without warning.

I know that in my old town, there are many hearts breaking today and some of Di's closest friends are wondering how they will ever recover from this loss.

During the twenty years that I have known Di, many of us have suffered trauma, tragedies and heartbreak and she has, through her friendship and support, provided us with the strength and courage to work through them.

She never judged us.  She found the greatest joy in our happiness.  She was our strength when we couldn't find our own. Her smile brightened our day ... every day.  Whether she had seen us 5 minutes ago or 5 months ago, she was always happy to see us.

Di was so many things to so many people.  Our boss, our colleague, our friend, our mentor, our sister, our mother, our rock, our confidante and she always had our backs.

Such a wonderful role model.

She was loyal to all of us and kept our secrets to the end.

Di was such a genuine, loving, happy person.  So strong and independent.  She had suffered so much in her own life and so she could sympathise and empathise with us all.

Her death is such a shock to us all.  Too young.  Too soon.  

We were so lucky to have her in our lives and we are richer for having known her.

The value of her friendship is immeasurable, but so is the pain of her loss.

When I think of her, I see her smile and I hear her laugh.

It makes me smile through my tears.

I hope that soon, the tears will pass and I will be left with the smile.

Goodbye my friend.  RIP

Nite all.

No comments: