Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, November 18, 2011

Surprise Skyping

It had turned, but the tide was still low, so I decided to go for a walk along the beach before the river engulfed it.  

The last time I walked at low tide, I came across a couple of Collared Kingfishers, sitting on sticks in the mud.



Today, I didn't have any such luck.

Today, however, I did find a couple of Bar-tailed Godwits!  They travel from Alaska to New Zealand every year!  Here is one of them...



I had to post the photo in 'flickr' to find out from someone clever, what these birds were.

In a little stream behind the beach, where I was searching for something else of interest to photograph, I found this feather floating on the incoming tide.  I even managed to catch a light reflection in the water.



After I got home from my little photographic jaunt, Adoring Husband and I drove into The Bay to do some grocery shopping and while we were there, I received a text from BGWLBH, telling me that it was her parent's Golden Wedding Anniversary.  

A couple of times this year, her parents and I skyped  (http://www.skype.com/intl/en/welcomeback/).  It's a free call you can make with your computer to another computer, and if you have a webcam, you can see each other on your screen as you chat.

I thought I replied to her text, but I arrived home and found the reply still in my outbox, not yet sent.  **rolls eyes**

So I sat down at my laptop and logged into Skype and very soon I was chatting away with the Golden Couple AND BGWLBH :o)

It was lovely to see them all.  The Golden Man has been very ill for quite some time and has lost a lot of weight, but he seemed full of beans and looked healthy on my computer screen.

Unfortunately, our connection was not good due to a storm in their area, so after about five minutes, their voices were fading in and out and conversation was impossible, so we had to end the call.

It really made my day to see and hear BGWLBH.  After such sadness during the week, it was really nice to see familiar faces from afar, and to talk to my loved ones.  Thank goodness for Golden Wedding Anniversaries!!

Tomorrow I get to spend the morning with my little Chicklet.

So, after my surprise Skype call today, and a visit with Chicklet and Vegan Chickie tomorrow, my healing should be nicely kick-started.

Nite all.     

No comments: