Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The First Step Toward Christmas

Today, the question was asked "What is the difference between Dementia and Alzheimer's Disease?"

According to the National Institute on Ageing (NIA), Dementia is a brain disorder that affects communication and performance of daily activities and Alzheimer’s disease is a form of dementia that specifically affects parts of the brain that control thought, memory and language.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Today was a perfect day to travel across the river on the ferry to attend our Christmas version of the lady's luncheon.



We were, however, a little disappointed to discover that one of the club buses had broken down, so a group of us had to wait at the ramp while the first group was taken to the club in the bus and then it returned to pick up the second group.

The club did not disappoint. It was warm and welcoming, the staff were friendly and the food was good. 

We handed out our Christmas presents (we had to take a gift to the value of $10 - but I'm certain that a few of the gifts were more than that - also some of them were much less!) and the Speckled Hen made us sing a line from a christmas carol to receive our gift.

We all ordered our meals.

We sang happy birthday to Lady Lynn.

We got to play the pokies for only 20 minutes, when the first group were called to the bus for the trip to meet the ferry.

It was a nice ride back across the river. 

The day seemed to go so quickly!

Adoring Husband couldn't come to pick me up, because the workers were still at our house and their van, which they were working out of, was parked in the driveway. So I walked to the shops, where I bought some meat for dinner and ordered coffee.

Some friends, who had just arrived home from Brisvegas, pulled up in the carpark and offered me a lift home, which I accepted, but suddenly my phone rang and there was Adoring Husband telling me that the workers had gone and he could come get me after all.

I couldn't wait to get home and check out the new blinds.

We now have exterior blinds fixed to the Western side of the house covering four windows. They are slatted and have the winding mechanisms inside the house so that we can open and close the blinds from the inside.

I cannot believe the difference they make to the temperature of those rooms! The rooms are at least ten degrees cooler!

Our bathrooms are so hot in the afternoons from about 2pm onwards, that it's impossible to get dry after stepping out of the shower. It's like being in a sauna and it's very difficult to put on make up while the heat causes you to perspire. Many times I've brought the pedestal fan to the doorway of the bathroom, so that it can blow on me while I apply make up.

These new blinds don't just make a difference to those rooms, but also to the entire house. I've been raving about them all afternoon and I believe they are our best investment into this property so far. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them and I'm so pleased that AH suggested getting them. Best idea EVER!

Once again, it is rapidly approaching midnight, so here I sign off.

Nite all.

No comments: