Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Seven sleeps and counting

Well, my junk food day did not agree with me at all!  It was fun while it lasted, but then I got a headache from eating too much chocolate and potato chips and ice cream.  Because I don't take pain killers, I went to bed to sleep it off and lost pretty much all of Sunday.  It wasn't fun at all.  I've learnt my lesson the hard way!

Today I am feeling much better.  The Bare-chested Chef gave Chicklet  her first bath today and she loved it!  She kicked her feet in the water and looked up at her Dad with those big trusting eyes and enjoyed every moment of it.  She got a bit annoyed at the 'getting dressed' part, but settled very quickly once she had her clothes on.

Then I got to cuddle her for a long time.  The best part (and I've been told often over the years that this was the best part) was when she got hungry, squirmy and a bit noisy in my arms, I was able to hand her back to Mum!  Yay!

I have just 7 more sleeps here with my new little family.  I have loved every second of it.  I got a whole 9 days with my Vegan Chickie while The Bare-chested Chef worked and Chicklet had not yet entered the world. 

I got to share in the birthing experience of my first grandchild, which was almost as amazing as giving birth to my own children, and now I get to spend the last 2 weeks watching how the new family work together to create a new harmony in the home.

The Bare-chested Chef has taken on the role of Father and Husband with gusto and Vegan Chickie is pushing through the pain and discomfort of healing stitches,  painful hips and bleeding nipples with persistence and inner strength while keeping a smile on her face and love in her heart.

All of us with children, know how immense the changes are when the first new baby comes into our lives.  It doesn't matter how much we learn leading up the birth of our child, every day after is still an education.

The transition period going from a married couple to a family of 3 and learning to cope with the demands of a new baby is an interesting one. The broken sleep, the constant feeding, the continuous washing, the sacrifices we make with our time.  It doesn't matter how smoothly it goes, it still creates a huge mental, emotional and physical drain on our whole being.

This family has shared the load incredibly well, so the transition period, so far, has been pretty smooth.    I haven't even been needed, except for maybe a little moral support during the 'third day blues'.

I feel confident about going back home to Australia (God!  It's a whole other country!) and I know that this family is going to thrive.  They have a good support system around them (New Zealand supports it's new mothers a whole lot better than Australia does, that's for sure!) and help is just a personal phone call away.

For now, I have to get as many cuddles with Chicklet as possible, prepare myself for the break and the looming 'separation anxiety' that will follow **sad face**.

Thank goodness I have open arms awaiting my arrival home in the form of Adoring Husband, Burrum girlfriends, my old local boys, psychotic dogs and the lovely laying chookies. **happy face**

Adoring Husband has already started the countdown.



    

No comments: