Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Bit of Productivity

Yes! I got out on my trike this morning! I saw my boys, rode along the river path, sat with my coffee and did a little grocery shopping ready for a productive day in the kitchen.

I finished off and packaged my beef stock first, and there was still enough meat on the bones to have with dinner tonight, which I'll tell you about soon. I ended up with seven containers of stock to freeze.



I needed the slow cooker for my tomato sauce, which is still slow cooking as I type this. I'll keep it going overnight, so the flavour should be rich and delicious by morning!



Next on the cooking agenda was lunch, which I didn't photograph, but we tried our local butcher's chicken kiev flavoured chicken sausages with a big salad of baby spinach, lettuce, red capsicum, tomato, onion, snow peas, avocado and boiled egg.

So far, we haven't been a fan of his flavoured sausages, and we've tried four or five different flavours. Today's were quite nice though. Our favourite is still his plain beef sausage.

Adoring Husband headed back to the SES shed after lunch, which gave me the opportunity to make some Banana and Walnut muffins.



... and the finished product ...



Delicious, sliced in half with a slathering of butter!

As I was saying earlier, about there still being enough meat on some of the ox tail bones to remove and mix with dinner tonight, I made the same sauce as last night, with some beef stock, red wine, apple juice and a little of the tomato sauce mixture that was still cooking. I stirred that through diced chicken breast and ox tail meat mixed together. There was leftover cauliflower au gratin and I steamed some broccoli and snow peas.

A healthful and satisfying dinner.

So the dishwasher has certainly had a workout today and I thoroughly enjoyed spending so much time in the kitchen. I think I'll try some new recipes tomorrow too.

Oh my gosh, I just looked at the time and realised it's after midnight! I think I am just naturally a night owl .. I'll never be able to stick to my 'early night' rule!

Nite all.


No comments: