Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Day 31 in a Year of my Life

This afternoon, Adoring Husband suggested that we stroll up to the lily pond to feed the ducks and see what the pond looked like on sunset.

Just as we arrived, Adoring Husband spotted a little Azure Kingfisher, so I grabbed my camera and quietly followed it around the boardwalk that surrounds the pond.

Unfortunately, it was very skittish and the ducks and water fowl frightened it, as did I, so after a while he disappeared.

While AH fed the ducks with the enthusiasm of a small child, I watched and waited for the sky to change, hoping for some lovely reflective light off the pond water.

Sunset, was again, a bit of a fizzer.

Just before we left the lily pond, the kingfisher reappeared on a branch that was sticking out of the water near the island in the middle of the pond.

I struggled to get my camera out of the bag again, but he had flown by the time I raised the camera to get a shot. **sigh**

Adoring Husband then suggested that we take a walk around the van park to see how big it was.

WELL!  Was I surprised?!

I'm sure it should have it's own postcode!

There are streets and streets of permanent cabins and caravans.  A dozen or more sites with little brick ensuites and storage rooms.  Another large amenities block on the other side of the park.  A large camping area for tents.

We walked down to the pool area and for the first time, I stepped inside the gate and walked around the very large resort style swimming pool where there are various kids areas like the big buckets that fill with water and then spill onto the kids below or the mushroom that kids can stand under and the water flows around them like a waterfall.

Little picnic areas around the pool and bubbling areas like mini spas.

Through to the other side of the pool and through the pool gate, there is an enormous play area for kids.

  • A fenced park with a seesaw, slide, swings, merry-go-round, monkey bars, bouncing animals and sand pit.
  • A giant chess board.
  • A mini soccer field with goal net.
  • A mini basket ball court with hoop.
  • Two colourful hopscotch games painted on concrete.
  • A par three mini putt putt course.
  • A games room with a pool table, table tennis, foosball, big old electronic games, a mini kitchen and a blackboard.
  • A gymnasium.
  • A giant colourful jumping bubble.
  • Giant outdoor movie screen.
  • Bali Huts.
  • Skipping rope - like a pole that the skipping rope winds out of so that one kid has the rope while one skips.
I think that's all.

Such an amazing place for a family holiday.  I am gobsmacked!

Earlier today, we took an Ecotour on the river and experienced three different eco systems.

We sat in folding chairs on the shaded top deck of the flat bottomed river boat and enjoyed the views and the happy, jovial commentary by the captain.

There was a beautiful breeze all day and we saw White Breasted Sea Eagles, Whistling Kites, Brahminy Kites, an Osprey that had just caught a fish as we came around the bend, White and Grey Herons among many other birds.

We got to walk through natural mangroves and rainforest on a winding boardwalk and upon our return, the captain of the boat had cooked our steaks (he asked us how we liked our steaks before we went for our walk) and there were salads and bread rolls and a fruit platter for lunch.

It was licenced, so there was wine and beer and other alcoholic beverages available, as well as soft drinks and cold water.

Morning tea was provided too, which consisted of chocolate brownies and lamingtons.

Unfortunately, the combination of the vibrating engine, boat movement, wind, the long lens and distance, none of my photos turned out well enough to share.

I really didn't mind and I think I'd be happy to go on the tour again without the camera, just to enjoy the experience on it's own.

Highly recommend the tour ...

http://www.cruisemaroochyeco.com.au/tourist-cruises/2/

I am grateful for today.  A day of soaking up so much of what nature has to offer, feeling the wind in my hair and breathing in the fresh sea air.  A perfect day for which to be grateful.

Nite all.

No comments: