Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 96 in a Year of my Life

Here is Aussie H's story from the night of the tornado...

The noise of the tornado approaching, woke her and she got out of bed and walked to the doorway of her bedroom.  At that moment, the two bedroom windows imploded and a star picket post came through the window and imbedded itself in her bed.

All kinds of debris from the caravan park situated behind her unit, came through the windows into her bedrooms.  She rushed to her front door, at which point, her lounge room window was sucked out, along with her television and stereo unit and many other things that were in her lounge room.

She is so lucky that SHE didn't get sucked out with them!

Just as she went to open the door, a piece of timber slammed into the door, piercing it and jamming it shut, so that she couldn't get out.

She was screaming for help and two of her neighbours came to rescue her, taking her to one of their houses.

This is the view from where her back fence was.  This section of the fence was taken with the tornado and this is just a very small section of the caravan park which was decimated that night.


I can't begin to imagine the terror that she must have felt during that ordeal and I get shivers up my spine whenever I try.

Today, as I survey the carnage that remains after the tornado, I am grateful that no-one in my lovely community was seriously injured or killed.  Every day I hear new stories of close calls and cannot believe how lucky we have all been.

Nite all

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG Roz, you are all so lucky. I am gobsmacked at stories like this. It goes to show that you are all made of tough stuff and the world is not finished with you yet. I can only imagine her terror when the star picket landed, then to be locked in her room. You have a lovely community and I glad to here you all look our for each other.