Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Day 97 in a Year of my Life

A little piece of wisdom ...

One evening an old wise Cherokee sat by the fire and told his young Grandson about the human experience. He described a battle, a fight that rages on inside of us all. A battle between two wolves. One is evil, and one is good. The Grandfather explained that the first wolf, the evil one, represented anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The second wolf, the Grandfather continued is the good one. This wolf represented joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and even faith. The Grandson thought about this situation for some time. He then asked his Grandfather 'Which wolf wins?'

The old Cherokee looked at his Grandson and simply replied, 'The one you feed.' What you feed grows, and what you starve dies.

**********

It's very, very quiet at this end of town now. Rows of houses with different coloured tarps over their roof and the ropes that are holding them down, tied to trees, fences, makeshift poles and tent pegs.

I read a weather report from the Sunshine Coast Weather Bureau on facebook tonight that warned of severe storms from south of Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast and that wind gusts of over 100 kmh had been recorded at Oakey, where Number One Son lives.

I don't mind admitting that I suffered a mini panic attack when I read it. My heart skipped a beat, I felt flushed and I felt a little breathless. My brain began plotting how we would ride out the storm and I began to feel sick ...

... then my brain stopped mid-thought and I realised the storms were not forecast for our area and there was no need to panic.

I don't know what I'm going to do when the next storm IS forecast for this area, particularly if we still only have a tarp over the roof.

I think we have a bit of way to go before the trauma doesn't affect us with every breath of wind, every mention of a storm, every glimpse of a dark cloud, every spot of rain and every loud sound in the distance.

Today, a beached yacht was removed from the beach by a crane, placed on the back of a truck and taken away.

These guys are waiting for some action.  The yacht is usually moored on the river, but both the yacht AND the mooring block were on the beach today.



I didn't hang around with them to wait for the action, because a large crowd was building and it looked like a time consuming job - at least a couple of hours. Hell of a big job!

Tonight at the Bowls Club, we heard lots more stories from local people with whom we hadn't caught up, since the tornado hit. Also a couple of regulars didn't turn up at all, so I think I'll go visiting tomorrow. I don't like it when my mates don't turn up without a good reason.

It was nice to do something 'normal' and it's definitely time to get back into our 'normal' routine.

On that note ... time for bed.

Nite all.






No comments: