Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 308 in a Year of my Life

It's hard work keeping up with a 2 year old.

Even harder keeping up with an Aspie 2 year old.

Every waking moment is packed with action, activity, movement, words, questions, requests, negotiation and then some.

I am not exaggerating when I say 'every waking moment' OR 'and then some.'

Every time I visit, my admiration for Vegan Chickie and the Bare-chested Chef increases.

They have no support network down here and are managing the daily demands without respite.

Even though I get down here every 6-8 weeks, the break that I provide is only in short bursts of 3 or 4 hours, due to Chicklet's needs and demands.

Physically, mentally and emotionally draining, handling this, day in and day out.

Is it any wonder that they are susceptible to every cold and flu germ that they come into contact with.

Vegan Chickie, especially with her broken sleep EVERY night (a common Aspie trait is very restless sleep) and comforting Chicklet back to sleep frequently.

I don't know how she does it.

Yet they both watch her every move and listen to every word that comes out of her mouth as if she is magical.  They give her every ounce of energy and love and happiness that they can muster and she really is thriving.

I come here for a few days at a time and am absolutely exhausted when I go home.

Not that I am complaining.  Not for one minute!  I love every minute that I'm here and spending precious time with my little sweetie possum.

She is an absolute joy for me and a constant source of both amusement and amazement.

The most wonderful little person in the world and I am so glad that she is a part of MY world.

I did take photos today, but haven't looked at them yet.  I might get a chance tomorrow.

Another big babysitting day tomorrow.  It's the Bare-chested Chef's last day off work before I head  home, so we need to make the most of it.

Today, I'm grateful for picnics in the lounge room that include me, Chicklet and 50 dinosaurs.

Nite all.

No comments: