Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Nudging Mudgee

A sunrise was on the agenda this morning, so we rose bright and early and looked at the sky outside our motel window for a rough idea of how the sunrise might appear. The clouds were spidering across the sky in long wispy streams, so we quickly got dressed, gathered our camera gear and in 6C temperatures, found our way to the lookout where the Three Sisters were located.

There we were, all alone for a good period of time and all the while, the sky looked incredibly promising. It really didn't feel that cold and we waited.

Way off in the distance where the sun was rising, there was some glorious colour in the low clouds, but it was too far off to get a good shot. The colour in the clear sky on the horizon changed beautifully too. There was mist in the valley below which made a pretty backdrop for the Three Sisters, but the sky did not change colour where we were.

At about 7am, we gave up. The sun was up, but hidden behind cloud. The scattered clouds remained grey and there wasn't even sunshine peaking through the cloud to play on the mist or the cliff faces. Very disappointing.

We drove back to the motel and as we came over the rise towards the town of Katoomba, the sky was a beautiful pink orange. Obviously, we were at the wrong location for this particular sunrise!

So we had our hot showers and packed all of our gear into the car, left the car parked in the motel car park and walked to the nearest 'open' cafe at 8.30 am. There we ordered bacon, eggs and coffee/tea and had a leisurely breakfast.

My plan after breakfast was to return to a shop that we visited yesterday to buy some beautiful silk scarves. I pondered over them yesterday but left the shop empty handed. They were so soft and delicate and the colours were the most beautiful and vibrant that I've seen. I decided that they would make great gifts ... because you can never have too many scarves! Right girls?

Much to my disappointment, the sign on the shop door showed that opening time was 10.30am. Good grief! So the scarves remain in the shop, because we left town at 9.30am.

We slowly made our way to Mudgee, stopping a few times along the way to get coffee and for toilet breaks and to photograph raptors hunting on the side of the road and to do some fruit/veg shopping at a supermarket.

There were a hell of a lot of dead native animals on the side of the road and I counted 5 dead wombats .. BIG ones .. and heaps of kangaroos and wallabies.

Probably the saddest part of the trip, was BGWLBH pointing to various landmarks on the way asking me if I remembered them from the last time we came this way, and my response on too many occasions was "No, I'm sure we haven't been this way before". She was insistent that we had, but I didn't even have the vaguest memory .. until finally we came across a little town by the name of 'Kandos' and finally the memory came back to me!

BGWLBH was relieved that she wasn't imagining a trip from our past and I was relieved not to have completely forgotten everything about that trip from our past!!

Finally, we arrived in Mudgee and immediately looked for somewhere to have lunch. We had a delicious hot meal in a little restaurant recommended to us by a local and then we enjoyed a stroll through some great little shops that had half price sales.

I bought some jewellery and a couple of bags and a new wallet. Retail therapy ... always enjoyable!!

With a little help from Google GPS, we navigated our way to the caravan park where we have a cabin for two nights. Very clean and comfortable and with two bedrooms each containing a double bed. We settled into our rooms and then for dinner, we drove not too far to the local Golf Club. I had a delicious Chilli Lime Coriander Chicken Salad. I can't begin to tell you how good it was!

We were home early and BGWLBH headed straight to bed. I watched The Voice and then some tennis for a while and now I'm all cosy in my own bed. I'm wondering whether to leave the heater on in the cabin all night. It doesn't take long for the cabin to get cold, so I'm thinking, for my own comfort, I'm going to leave it going.

Anyway, as usual, it's almost midnight so I'm bidding you adieu.

Nite all.

No comments: