Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Overwhelmed by my non-creativity

At some point over the past few months I was feeling creative, artistic and imaginative.  I believed that I could jump into the realms of the artistic world, and suddenly the juices would flow, my imagination would come alive and the universe would bow to my arty farty greatness!!


  • I have filled my jewellery making stocks almost to capacity.  
  • I now have in my possession, the camera to cause envy among the masses.  
  • I have the quality pastel pencils and top grade paper for my planned portrait extravaganza.  
  • I have a complete set of soft graphite pencils for amazing and awe inspiring sketches.


With all of these high hopes and promises (in my own mind) of genius brilliance, I have placed myself under so much pressure that my brain has drawn that big black curtain of dazed nothingness across my thought processes.

My head is now full of mashed potato with little pieces of chopped up raw onion - NO that's wrong because I LOVE mashed potato with little pieces of chopped up raw onion - so that would be a good thing!

My head is now full of .... nothing!

I am incapable of even deciding which of these artistic pursuits I want to tackle first!

I was told by somebody who knows me well, that I am afraid of success.  I don't think I am alone there.  I believe that many people are afraid of success ... and afraid of failure ... or just plain afraid.

So I guess my next task is to figure out how to dig myself out of this brain numbing nothingness and make a plan.  I think I need to create some kind of structure (which kind of goes against the whole essence of being artistic!).

If I was a bloke I could multi-task.  Males can do lots of things at once.  They don't do any of them well ... kind of like a Jack Of All Trades but Master Of None hehehe.  I bet Adoring Husband is seething at this comment hehehe.

I need to focus on one thing at a time.  I also need to do that one thing well.  Otherwise there is no point in doing it!

Even with housework.  If I don't have the time to do a chore perfectly OR if I'm not in the mood to do the chore perfectly, then I just won't do it at all!  It's all or nothing!

This is where my brain is at.  I am overwhelmed by my non-creativity.  I'm all flumozzled.  I think I just made that up.  Oh!  A creative moment!

4 comments:

L. Griffin said...

Apparently the best way to get around creative block is to just start doing whatever, you can always start again. I don't know whether it really works or not, i tend to talk myself out of it before i try!

Age said...

I think I might try that. It's worth a try! Thanks :o)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to make a suggestion too. In Art Therapy the idea is to use paints or coloured
pencils to draw the feeling of being non creative and blocked. It isn't a thought process it is just letting something happen. It can just be filling a page with colour/s or shapes and then later looking at it to see what it says TO YOU. No achievement is involved or skill so you can't succeed or fail you just do it. The Trifle-maker

Age said...

Also an excellent idea! I actually made eight bracelets this morning, so that is a good start - as for the sketching and drawing, Art Therapy sounds the perfect way to find my focus!