Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Healthy living

So, I mentioned a couple of days ago that my life would be perfect if I could eat all of my favourite food in large quantities without it affecting my weight or my health.

The reason I said it was because THAT is exactly what I have been doing for a couple of months now and even though I haven't weighed myself, I can tell by my clothes that I have gained weight around my middle.

I have a couple of spare tyres.  They aren't too bad while I'm standing up, but when I sit down, they spread beautifully, filling out my clothes until they are stretched most unattractively around my mid section.

Today, I decided that it was time to do something about it and get back to my healthy eating and exercise plan.

The dreadful wet season that we've had in this part of the world has meant that my golf mornings and tennis evenings have been cancelled more often than not.

I haven't replaced them with any other form of exercise, even though I have a cross trainer, exercise bike, mini trampoline  and mini weights here in the house.

In the past I've used a web site called Calorie King to help me count my calories and diarise my exercise.  If any of you are interested, here is the link http://www.calorieking.com.au/ 

The reason that I count my calories is so that I can work out whether I can have the yummy treats at night!

I eat lots of fruit and vegetables and nuts and grains, but if I'm not careful, I can get a bit carried away with the cheeses, creamy sauces, potatoes, bread and chocolate.  If I count my calories, it actually psyches me out of eating those things!

I also know that I'm not eating well because I'm losing all of my energy by 2pm and needing a nap!

So today is the first day of the rest of my life!  I'm not going to mention my actual weight (because that's just plain embarrassing!), but I will update my weight loss  each week here on my blog and we will keep progress together.

According to all the weight charts, I need to lose about fifteen kgs, but I would like to lose ten.  I would like to lose these kgs by the 1st July, which is when I am travelling down south to visit my BFF.

Onward and upward ***raises hand in the air*** and May The Force Be With Me!!

 

No comments: