Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Birthday to ME ME ME!

Today, I get to cross off one of the fifty two things to do before I turn fifty two!  I enjoyed turning fifty one!

Adoring Husband already gave me Bob (the camera) for my birthday and so had fulfilled his husbandly birthday duties and then some!  However, upon my arrival home from the markets, he greeted me with a dozen red roses and a box of divinely delicious chocolates!

This was already much more than I expected and left me feeling very loved, but then there was a 'BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!' moment.

Tomorrow is our first wedding anniversary but Adoring Husband, unable to contain his need to bring me more joy, handed me two more gift wrapped boxes.  One long narrow red box with a bow and another that I guessed might be a soft cover book - perhaps on Photography I guessed to myself?

I opened the first box to find a beautiful long stemmed red rose to represent one year of marriage.

As I opened the second gift, I watched Adoring Husband's face as I did it.  He was like a little boy with the most amazing facial expressions, watching expectantly as I got closer to revealing the gift within.  I can't explain the joy I got from just watching his face.

Anyway, the traditional symbol for the first wedding anniversary is 'paper'.  Adoring Husband had beautifully gift wrapped a packet of A4 Glossy photograph paper and attached a note suggesting that I could use this paper to begin creating the photographic memories of our marriage.

If there is one thing I appreciate in life, it's a gift that has a lot of thought put into it and requires little cost.  It's even more special when it comes from Adoring Husband because it's a new concept for him and I am so impressed with his successful efforts to date.

At Christmas, for the first time ever, we gave each other a spending limit of $35.  To begin with, Adoring Husband was panic stricken and really struggled with the whole concept.

He eventually found the perfect gift, without any outside assistance - painted and carved timber trees that I could use for display stands for jewellery on my stalls.  I was ecstatic!

So, once again, my lovely man has made me feel special on my birthday and after lots of phone calls and lovely facebook messages from friends and family,  it has been a happy birthday for ME ME ME!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Adoring Husband!!! Rqqzy's joy must
have been a great reward for your efforts.
So which one of the list is your aim for today,
Rqqzy? Hope the Laying Lady Helen gave you an
egg yesterday. xx g'ma

Age said...

I only have to do one thing on my list each week and I have already enjoyed turning 51 this week! I can rest for a week now :o) Laying Lady Helen gives us an egg EVERY day - even when she was sick - so she is a very happy chookie!