Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Glory or Flame Lily

Gosh!  What a grey, wet old day it is today!

The rain stopped and sun shone just long enough this morning for me to jump on my trike and pedal down to the bakery for my morning coffee.

I squeezed in about forty minutes with the boys at 'The Seat of Knowledge' before I noticed those big black clouds scudding across the sky towards us, so I jumped back on my trike and headed for home.

There was a soft mist of rain to ride through for the last couple of minutes before I arrived home, but I made it home before the heavens opened up, yet again.

A good day for getting comfortable on the couch and watching movies, reading magazines, researching photographic competitions online, watching cooking shows or, as Adoring Husband is doing right now, falling asleep and shooting out some ZZZZZZZZs!

Cooking shows aren't always a good idea on the first day of a healthy lifestyle change ... especially when the subject is 'Desserts'.  I am drooling over a delicious looking Trifle and a Lemon Curd Tart at the moment.  Pure torture!

I made a frittata for lunch, with the leftover roasted vegetables from last night's dinner.  Very nice, but how I long for a big bowl of Granma's famous trifle (Yes Granma, you know who you are!  I know you are reading this!).

The other form of pure torture that I've suffered today was watching a Science Fiction movie that Adoring Husband was keen to see, called 'Skyline'.  My advice to you is DON'T BOTHER.

If you read my post on April 16th, where I showed a beautiful flower that I had discovered during my walk along the river, I accidentally came across it's name yesterday.

I was looking at somebody else's photo stream in Flickr (which is a website for photographers to display and share their photos), when I came across a photo of the same flower!

It was such a strange co-incidence, since both Adoring Husband and I had tried, unsuccessfully to find the flower online.

We googled it and discovered that it's the National Flower of Zimbabwe.  We also discovered that, as with so many of the most beautiful flowers and berries, it's highly toxic and regarded as a weed in Queensland!

I don't care.  I still love it!!  It's called a Glory Lily or a Flame Lily.

PS  Notice to the right, my 'Fifty two things to do before I turn fifty two'.  This begins on 23rd April!

No comments: