Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tooth Fairy

I have had this loose tooth for quite some time.  I think it has been pushed loose by a wisdom tooth.  Yes!  That's right!  It's one of those big teeth in the back of my head.  A top rear left molar.

It's a most unpleasant feeling to have a tooth wobbling about in the back of your head!  It's quite impossible to leave it alone and I often found my tongue sneaking back and wiggling it.

Everybody advised that I should go to a dentist and have it removed.  When I poo-pooed the idea, they responded with raised eye brows and screwed up noses.

Why would I go to a dentist and pay hundreds of dollars to have a loose tooth removed?  Why not wait til it falls out?  It's not causing me any pain or discomfort.  It just feels a bit weird!

Ok, so, aside from my fear of sharks and toads, I am also terrified of dentists!  Adoring Husband is also odontophobic and he flies to Sydney to have his teeth fixed under general anaesthetic!  My phobia prevents me from even doing that.

The last time I went to a dentist, I think, was around 1995.  I had a broken molar and had taken twenty four pain killers in twenty four hours, but the pain did not go away, so, in sheer desperation, I went to a dentist.

It did not end well.  My tooth snapped at the roots, which meant surgery was required and then I experienced 'dry socket' (an incredibly painful condition) which required medication and the whole process was expensive, painful and extremely frustrating.

So, this time,  my loose tooth became looser and looser until it was only attached by what felt like a narrow thread.

Yesterday, I began to feel a dull pain in my gum and last night, it became very uncomfortable and felt like it might be spreading into my cheek.

This, I felt, was a very bad sign and I was just beginning to wonder where I might find a dentist over Easter, who could fix my problem.  Thoughts of infections moving to my brain and irreversible brain damage began to invade my head!  Ugh!

So I went to bed last night, fully expecting to wake during the night, either in severe pain, bleeding uncontrollably or with blood poisoning.  My imagination conjures the most dramatic conditions and we all know that the imagination is ALWAYS much worse that reality!

I woke up this morning with absolutely no pain.  All of the discomfort from the day before had disappeared and I was feeling incredibly relieved that my brain damage would be minimal at worst.

At lunch time I decided to have a watermelon and pineapple frosty fruit icy pole (for which I could very easily form an addiction!).  With the first bite, I felt this strange sensation and when my tongue found it's way to my loose tooth, the tooth came free!

Yay!!  No pain.  No tooth.  No infection.  No problem.

I asked Adoring Husband "Do you think that if I put it in a glass, the tooth fairy might take it and leave me some money?".

He looked at me like I was crazy.  "Probably not." he replied.

Personally, I think the tooth fairy should leave me a small fortune!   I mean, how often is he/she offered a tooth with so much wisdom and life experience?  These teeth are rare and priceless I would have thought!

So, Tooth Fairy, if you are reading this ... my tooth is in the big rubbish bin in the back yard.  If you think it's of any value, please repay me by letting my Oz 7 lotto ticket ring some winning bells when we check it next week!  Much appreciated :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tooth Fairy says that constant searching in the
rubbish bin has NOT turned up ANY tooth - maybe there is ANOTHER tooth fairy operating in your area. Maybe A H has beaten the tooth fairy to
it. I am sure your reward is on its way! love your blog! g'ma

Age said...

My reward was marking off another item from my list ... the romantic candlelit dinner for two :o) ... which was so much more romantic without a dangling loose tooth lol