Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Calendar of Characters

I've been mulling over an idea.

Our little town is full of interesting characters.  Some of them are locals who have been here for almost forever.  Locals who have stories told about them on a weekly basis.  Stories from the old days when the town was an even smaller community and every member played an important role in keeping the community on the map.

Some of them are newcomers.  People who have escaped the rat race, were advised to move due to ill-health, people who have spent thirty years of annual holidays here, retirees and other habitual movers.

Others are business owners who have moved here at various stages over the past ten or twenty years and have set up successful businesses that comfortably support their families and who support their community in many different ways.

People who have suffered terrible tragedies in their lives and who have been carried and supported and brought back from the brink by this very loving community.

Strong characters, controversial characters, eccentric characters, loud and funny characters.  Characters who are either loved or hated, but no in betweens.  Talented characters who inspire and entertain.  Movers and shakers, who bring the community together at all the festive occasions during the year.

I would love to acknowledge all of these characters and I'm thinking about creating a 2012 Calendar or perhaps a small coffee table book with their photographs and a short story about their lives.

I don't want it to be a historic or serious book or calendar.  I'm thinking more along the lines of an anecdotal pictorial.  I'd like it to be light-hearted, with a bit of humour and something that everybody wants because they are either in it or know most of the people in it.

I want it to bring happiness and joy to the town and create conversation and laughter.  While doing this, perhaps I could make it a fund raiser and I could donate the proceeds to the local SES or other non-profit organisation or charity??

Off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen people who I'd love to photograph and I know there will be many more when I sit down with pen and paper to form my plan.

But right here, right now, this is the idea that I've been mulling over in my head and over the coming weeks I hope to develop the idea further and eventually create my Calendar of Characters!

No comments: