Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, April 29, 2011

Coral and Bill and William and Kate

I would like to introduce to you, to a couple, who are on the shortlist for my Calendar of Characters.

This is Coral and Bill.  Bill turns eighty years of age tomorrow and he was one of twenty children!  They have lived within a fifty kilometre radius of this town for all of their lives.

Coral goes for a walk every morning and they both ride their bicycles to the boat ramp most mornings.  Bill can't walk distances due to arthritis in his knees, but they both still take their little tinny boat out on the river regularly, casting for prawns, crabbing and fishing.

Anything that they don't know about the area isn't worth knowing and they are both respected and well liked in town.  Bill is a real character and is always good for a laugh.  Coral tolerates his cheeky demeanour, but they both love each other very very much and that is obvious.


Coral had a fall about a year ago and although she didn't break any bones, she was very badly bruised and had trouble walking for a few weeks.  Poor Bill was beside himself with worry and took such good care of her until she was able to fend for herself again.

They make me feel all warm and fuzzy and every morning when they arrive at the boat ramp, I call out "Good morning kids!!"  They tell me, it makes them feel young when I say it.  I do look forward to seeing them each morning, along with my other boys.

So there you are.  A first introduction.  I will bring stories and photos of others on my list as the weeks go by.

On the note of love ... I have just watched the royal wedding of William and Kate and I have to say that it's been surprisingly enjoyable!  I thought that Kate looked beautiful and her dress was lovely.  The whole atmosphere in London was so happy and full of love!  Just amazing!

Today, I am feeling the love with Coral and Bill and William and Kate!



No comments: