Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Microwave-free Household

We don't own a microwave oven.

I can't even remember when our house became microwave-free.

I'm pretty sure it's been around 4 years.

If my memory serves me well, the microwave oven that we brought with us from Sydney, died some time after we arrived here and when Adoring Husband began to search for a replacement, I announced my dislike of them and we decided that since the only reason we used them, was to reheat leftover food, it was an unnecessary expense that we could do without.

There are many reasons why I dislike microwave ovens.  If you're interested in any of my reasons, here are some links that you might like to check out ...

11 Surprising Facts and Myths About Microwave Ovens

Are Microwave Ovens Safe?

The Proven Dangers of Microwaves

Studies Show Microwaves Drastically Reduce Nutrients in Food

There are many things in this life, the safety of which, is questionable.  I have never felt comfortable using a microwave oven.  I have never liked food cooked in or reheated in a microwave .  I figure I should always listen to my inner voice or my instincts.

I try to avoid eating in restaurants where I know food is reheated or cooked in a microwave (yes I know that the majority of restaurants use microwave ovens in their kitchens).

I know that our local pub has 6 microwave ovens in their kitchen and that most of their food is pre-prepared and then reheated in a microwave.  I ate there, for the first time in over a year, just last week.  I didn't enjoy it.

I use our conventional oven ALL THE TIME.

I'm a lazy cook and don't like having to stand in the kitchen watching over what I'm cooking.

I'm happiest when I can prepare the food, put it in the oven, and walk away.

All of our reheating happens on the stove top or in the oven.

I'm sure Adoring Husband would love to have a microwave oven again.  He is also a lazy cook and would prefer to eat leftovers cold out of the fridge, than spend the time reheating on the stove top or in the oven.

Our out-of-town visitors are always shocked to discover no microwave oven and are then stumped as to how they are going to cook whatever food they've brought/bought.

I know that while the decision is mine to make, I will never have a microwave oven in my house.

******

Something that I found today, that I am definitely going to try this week, is home made Vitamin C!

Apparently, the Vitamin C manufacturers are now making these supplements from genetically engineered corn.  I've read enough to know that I will always attempt to avoid genetically engineered food.

So I found this recipe to make your own Vitamin C, that is even better for you than the supplements that you buy (I'm not a fan of synthetic supplements either - but I'll save that story for another day).

It's important that you only use 'organic' fruit for this recipe, because there are too many chemicals/pesticides/herbicides/insecticides etc sprayed on non organic produce, and the skin is where all of this yukkiness is absorbed.

What homemade vitamin C DOES have, that bought supplements DON'T have, is live enzymes that allow the vitamin C to be 100% assimilated into your body. It has its own natural source of rutin, hesperidin, and bioflavonoids.

It’s easy to get, easy to make, and even tastes good, too. It’s just orange & lemon peels.

Any organic orange or lemon peels left over from the fruit you buy will do the trick.

Save all of your peels after you eat the fruit and cut them into thin strips.

Place them on a plate on your dining room table and let them dry at room temperature for a couple of days until dry and crisp OR you can also dehydrate the peels with a food dehydrator and then store them for about a year in a dry container.

For consumption, one idea is to break up peels into smaller pieces and mix them with your favourite tea. This makes the tea taste great, but the downside to this approach is that heat destroys the enzymes.

A better option is to place the peel strips into your coffee grinder and grind them into a powder (which won’t hurt the enzymes) and use to mix with your early morning smoothie. One rounded teaspoon will supply you with more organic vitamin C complex, rutin, hesperidin, and bioflavonoids than your body needs for the day, regardless of your size.

Apparently, this homemade citrus peel powder mixed in your blender with some fresh organic apple juice tastes good too.

Sounds bloody good to me!

Nite all.

No comments: