Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Surprise!!

I have had suspicions for some time that there might be two chicks in the Tawny nest, but two days ago, I conceded that I was wrong and there must only be one.

It seemed to me that each day, the chick looked a bit different. Some days it seemed too small and some days it's eyes seemed smaller and darker, but then I thought that maybe the nest was quite small and it just depended on what position in the nest that she was situated on any particular day.

So today, as I was trespassing to get my morning shot of the Tawny family, I climbed the stairs to the house (which is an empty holiday rental property) so that I could get a better angle and was taking photos for about ten minutes, and just about to return to my trike, when I saw movement to the left of the chick.

This little clump of feathers appeared from under the parent Tawny and suddenly he opened his eyes and looked at me!


How adorable is he!? Quite a bit smaller than his sibling and he has a bit of a grumpy face, but still very adorable.

I was so excited, I was talking to them in a very high pitched voice (which might explain the weird looks on their faces!). Looking forward to searching them both out every morning now.

The other nest that I've been watching is still pretty quiet, although the parent Tawny is sitting much higher, or taller, in the nest, so I think the eggs have hatched and now it's just a matter of time before they poke their little white faces out to take a look at the world.

I'm checking them every day.

I had a nice lunch with the ladies today. There were about 15 of us. The food was pretty average, but the wine was good and the company was excellent.

Next month, we are taking the river boat across the river to have lunch at the Woodgate Bowls Club. I've already booked and paid for my spot, so I'm IN!

Nite all.


No comments: