Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Farewell Full of Love

Adoring Husband and I attended a funeral today.

The funeral of June Wallis, who was murdered by her husband, our local baker, on 22nd March.

I knew her husband a little better than I knew June, but I still considered her a close acquaintance.

She was only 32 years of age and was a happy, warm and friendly member of our community. Her crazy laugh could often be heard bubbling through the bakery doors.

June adored her children and family, and horses were her great passion. The presentation slide show of her life was full of photographs from her childhood and 95% of them contained at least one horse! What she didn't know about horses was not worth knowing. She was the local horse 'go to' guru.

AH and I estimated that there were more than 300 people who attended today's celebration of June's life and so many of us wore bright colours for that celebration which, I must say, was quite uplifting!

As people arrived with flowers, the ushers took them to the front of the church where there was a large stage and lay them along the front of it. By the time the funeral commenced, it was a sea of colour.

After we were all seated in this very large church - more like an arena - the casket was carried down the centre aisle, with her father, affectionately known as Wal, as lead pall bearer and I swear I could hear hearts shattering as we watched this broken man carry his baby to her final farewell. The physical pain that I felt was palpable and I struggled to hold it together. There were many who clearly did not hold it together.

Luckily, the friend with whom I sat, had spare tissues, because I forgot to take any.

When they placed the casket at the front of the church, they lay June's saddle and other horse riding paraphernalia upon it.

I'm not sure that you could call it a 'service' today. There were no prayers or hymns or scriptures, but simply beautiful words written by the family members telling the story of June's life and how she affected theirs. Incredibly moving and emotional.

Part way through, we were all invited to step forward to relate any stories that we wanted to share. I don't think there was a single person there with the emotional strength to publicly speak.

We listened to some of June's favourite music while people made their way to where ushers were holding baskets of gum leaves and each person selected a gum leaf to place upon the casket and embraced each member of the family to offer their condolences.

As heart breaking as that was to watch, the love in that church was overwhelming. You could feel it, it was tangible and like two giant arms wrapping around all of us.

An hour after the funeral began, we all followed Wal and the other pall bearers as they carried June's casket out to the waiting hearse.

It really was a beautiful celebration and a credit to the family for bringing it all together under such trying circumstances.

I know what it is to lose a child, but I cannot begin to comprehend the world of hurt that Wal and Sue and June's children are enduring right now. Thankfully, they have each other and there is love.

Nite all.


No comments: