Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, May 3, 2015

A Testing Time

While Adoring Husband was celebrating the birthdays of two of his grandchildren on the Gold Coast today, he received a phone call from his Mother's nursing home in Sydney to advise that she had fallen last night and had been taken to hospital in a very bad way.

AH then spoke to the doctor in charge who advised that Nellie's condition was serious and she may not return to the nursing home. The doctor also verified the level of care required as far as the DNR was concerned.

So the celebrations ended early for AH. I became his secretary/personal assistant for the day and at short notice, booked his flight and hire car online and he drove to Brisbane, booked his car into security parking, and late this afternoon he flew to Sydney where he is now driving in a hire car to a motel in Miranda, and preparing to face whatever emotional challenge is coming his way.

Nellie turned 98 last birthday. She has been a strong woman for her whole life, and even more so in the last few years, because at this age, we expect her to be at her most fragile, but she has proven many times that she is physically healthy and strong enough to overcome the health challenges that have tested her.

I would not be surprised if her toughness pulled her through this particular challenge as well, but at the same time, we need to be prepared for the worst. I'm certain she would be aiming for that letter from the Queen for her 100th birthday!

While she is generally physically strong, her mental state is a different matter altogether and her Sundowner's Dementia makes it difficult for AH to communicate with her. It's concerning for him that he may be saying his goodbyes to a woman who doesn't even recognise him as her son.

A difficult time for him, and adding to this stress, he has spent about 7 hours on the road today already, starting at 5am. He will be in need of a good solid night's sleep tonight so that he can be strong enough to cope with whatever happens tomorrow.

From me to you AH ... make sure you keep your body nourished and hydrated ... at least physically, that will get you through the tough times.

Nite all.

No comments: