Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Model Material

I met Bubbles this morning for a shopping trip.

She is attending a formal engagement party in Brisbane next month and needed a dress for the occasion, so for her birthday (which is in a couple of weeks) I bought her some new clothes, including a beautiful purple and black ombre maxi dress.

We spent two hours in a shop called 'City Chic' which caters to plus size young women. Bubbles fit perfectly into the 'extra small' sizes of their fashions and looked amazing in their outfits. She stayed in the fitting room trying on about 25 different outfits, while the salesperson waited on her hand and foot.

We bought 2 dresses, a bolero, 2 tops, a pair of black jeggings, a beautiful blingy belt to go with the purple dress and two bras. She was beaming from ear to ear when we left the shop carrying two full bags of clothes.

I must say that when she tried on the purple dress and opened the curtain with that huge smile on her face, it brought a tear to my eye. It was almost like a 'wedding dress moment'. She will look amazing for the engagement party.

Unfortunately, she had to leave for work at lunch time, but that gave me a couple of hours to shop for myself.

I found a black boot which had been marked down by 50% and then had a further 50% markdown on top of that! The saleswoman, however, couldn't find the other boot! So I created a drama filled moment in my silly kind of way and walked off pouting .. a few moments later, she came up to me and said "There are other shoes missing their partner and I think they may have been taken for shop displays, so if you wait around, I will go searching and hopefully I'll find the other boot for you."

Sure enough, twenty minutes later, she appeared with the other boot! So I got a fabulous pair of black leather ankle boots which had been marked down from $260 to $130 and then down to $65. Ya gotta be happy with that!!

I found some nice jewellery in the 'Tree of Life' store, a couple of tops in a shop having a 50% off sale, another handbag and a few other odds and ends.

This afternoon, I had to find a post office to send off a box of goodies for the Chicklet family and a box of goodies to myself because they wouldn't all fit in my suitcase!

BGWLBH and I caught a taxi to the Sharkies Club this afternoon. She had coffee. I had wine. Things sure have changed there since we moved from Sydney and there is so much construction and work happening, I hardly recognised the place. We might have a decent motel to stay in next time we come to Sydney!

Soon after that, we headed back to the Miranda RSL for dinner. The meals are delicious there at a great price, which you can probably tell because we've eaten there three times this visit!

That's about it for our day.

Tomorrow we go our separate ways and head home back to reality.

I know I've said it before, but it's been a fantastic holiday. I've enjoyed every minute of it (oh except for those two dodgy rooms that we stayed at in Coffs Harbour) and am so glad that I decided to do it. I came so close to deciding NOT to go this year and now we are already planning the next one.

Now, we need to sleep because we both have a very early start tomorrow.

Nite all.

1 comment:

eljaih said...

I'm still smiling from ear to ear.. I tried the purple maxi dress on four times that day!! LOVE IT!!
You'll have photos of the night soon to post for your regular readers
No returns x