Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

I think I'm now a blogger!

Life is mostly froth and bubble
Two things stand like stone
Kindness in another's troubles
Courage in your own

My mother, Judy, wrote that in my autograph book before she gave it to me.  It was a gift for a birthday or christmas or something.  I had no idea what the hell those words meant, but I was very excited to have an autograph book and my mind went crazy imagining all of the famous people who would sign it.

After about 6 months I had names like Rod Stewart, Peter Frampton, Freddie Mercury, Marc Hunter, David Cassidy and Bon Scott in my autograph book.  None of them were real signatures ... I had scribbled them in myself.  Isn't that what young girls do when their dreams don't look like becoming reality?

Sometimes, as a 15 yr old, I would lie in bed at night and imagine that I was in my death bed.  All the famous people would visit me to say goodbye and tell me how much they loved me and would miss me.  Peter Frampton would kiss me tenderly and declare his undying love for me.  Rod Stewart would lie beside me and wrap his arms around me lovingly and kiss my forehead.  All of them had tears in their eyes as they left my room.

Was that normal for teenagers of my generation?  Should my parents have considered therapy?  Is there anybody out there from my generation (or any generation for that matter!) with similar freakish thought patterns?

Judy passed away suddenly almost 6 years ago.  After reading this she would have looked at me and slowly shaken her head.  She would have said 'Sometimes I wonder about you Roz'.  I miss her.

Now I am passing the time in New Zealand awaiting the birth of my first grandchild and Judy's first great-grandchild.  She would have been right here with us, still complaining about the autograph book that I ruined with my scribble, but oh so excited about a new member of the family!

2 comments:

Eternally Mine said...

Oh my goodness!! I can SO hear Nan saying "Sometimes I wonder about you Roz" in her dry way. I miss her too. (and I can't remember the amount of times I heard her talk about that autograph book!).

Anonymous said...

I also have wondered about you Roz, BIGTIME, but I also miss YOU and our wonderful talks. Let me know when things (baby) happen, enjoy NZ much love MAGGIE xoxo