Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Exhausted but happy!

Thank goodness the rain stopped during the night and golf was able to commence on time today, without any hassles.  To our delight, we woke to a beautiful sunshiny day and hundreds of lorikeets screeching across the sky!

Our lovely driver, Jamie, arrived at 7.30am with his bus and trailer to drive us to Twin Waters Golf Club.

We wondered why he was taking so long to get out of the bus to unlock the trailer for our golfing gear, and when he finally hobbled around the corner, his leg was bandaged and he was on crutches!

Golf, apparently, is a very dangerous sport.  He bent down to pick up a ball and snapped his achilles tendon.  Another friend of ours bent down to put a ball on a tee and slipped a disc in his back.  I think we had best take it slowly this week ... who knows what might happen!

It took a good thirty minutes to drive to the club.  We were directed to our cart, which was part of the package deal, and were sent to the tenth hole to commence our game behind the last of the veterans who were playing their comp day.

The veterans were very slow and were obviously playing for solid gold golf balls today, because they were taking a very very very long time with their putting.  Needless to say, Adoring Husband and I, spent a lot of time waiting around for them to finish each hole, which created a bottle neck of other players behind us.

Apparently, veterans don't have to wave people through, so it made for a bit of a frustrating and longer day than expected, for me anyway.

Adoring Husband was uncharacteristically calm and relaxed through it all - probably because he was having such a good game.

Perhaps he needs old blokes slowing things down so that he has time to think about his game!

Ahhhh, it all makes sense to me now!

The grounds were quite lovely.  A bit wet and slushy in parts.  There was lots of wildlife and bird life, beautiful big ponds with flowering lillies,  fish jumping everywhere, little mini rain forests scattered about and a lovely girl in a shiny red cart who scooted along the paths selling refreshments.  How cool was that?!  Although selling beer at 8.30 in the morning didn't seem quite right to me!

After it was all over, we found our way to the club house and ordered some lunch and drinks.  Salt n pepper squid with salad for me and a Thai Beef Salad for Adoring Husband.  Once again, DELICIOUS!  We have been very lucky so far with our food choices.

Thirty minutes in the bus home was just enough time for every muscle and every bone in my body to sieze up.  Even though we had a cart, I still tried to walk as much as possible, as long as it wasn't going to slow us down too much for the people behind us.

We had planned on walking this afternoon and going in the opposite direction to yesterday to check out the local shopping, but I just wasn't up for it, and needed to rest up a bit.

Adoring Husband seemed quite put out by this.  He informed me that we were on holidays and he didn't want to spend all day at home in the apartment.  Of course, I then reminded him that we had just spent almost 8 hours away from the apartment!

"Well" he retorts "I'm going for a walk!"
"Excellent!" I reply "Could you please bring me home a take-away skinny cappuccino?"
"I'll see if I can find a place that sells them", he says.

With that, he walked into the kitchen,  made himself a sandwich and plonked himself down onto the couch.  He ate the sandwich, finished the beer, lay down on the couch and promptly fell asleep!  I'm so pleased that he's not wasting any of his precious holiday time!

I'm looking forward to going out for a nice dinner tonight and hopefully a good night's sleep will ease all the bits of my body that are complaining so loudly.

Despite Adoring Husband's obvious need to fill every waking moment with activity, we are exhausted but happy!

No comments: