Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, April 15, 2011

Equal Air Time

Number One Son has now requested equal air time and I promised that I would fulfil that request tonight.

After a very tumultuous and traumatic start to his youth and then struggling through to adulthood, he joined the Air Force at the age of twenty, learned some self discipline and became an Avionics Technician which set the foundation for a promising career and future.

He is now 29 yrs of age.  He left the Air Force just over a year ago and has been a single man since about November last year.  He recently made a bad error in judgement.

As a result he had an EPIPHANY!

Suddenly, he can see his future more clearly and he has set himself goals. He has a plan.  His 'error in judgement'  may end up being the best thing that ever happened to him ... if his plan comes to fruition!

I must say that I have heard many of Number One Son's plans in the past and at the end of those conversations, I knew that the plans were ideas in his head that would never eventuate.

This plan, however, seems to have quite a bit more conviction behind it.  There is a change in his attitude and a confidence in his voice that I haven't heard before.

He has quit drinking alcohol.

I can sense the seed of change has been planted and I'm looking forward to watching it grow.

Number One Son is also quite a talented artist.  He has recently picked up his pencils and began to draw again after putting his art on the back burner for a few years.

He is a big fan of the Copic Markers at the moment!




So, being the lovely Mum that I am, my goal for Number One Son is to encourage (insert 'nag') him to quit smoking, help educate (insert 'nag') him about healthy eating,  set an example (insert 'nag') about having an active lifestyle and remind (insert 'nag') him to drive, drive, drive and get his driver's licence.

None of my children, who are aged 31, 29 and 26, have their driver's licence and nor do I.  None of us have learned to drive!!  Strange, but true!!

So, I can end this post by telling Number One Son - I love you.  I'm proud of how far you have come since those tumultuous teenage years and I am looking forward to watching your new life journey unfold.  There are no limits to your potential!  

There is your equal air time - now get cracking so that I can brag in future posts about your progress!
   

1 comment:

eljaih said...

*is hoping he can do it*