Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Stopping the Nation

Have you heard of the Melbourne Cup?  The race that stops the nation?

It's Australia's major thoroughbred horse race and was first held in 1861.  It's conducted by the Victorian Racing Club on the Flemington Race Course in Melbourne on the first Tuesday of every November.

There are Melbourne Cup functions held all over Australia, where people dress up in beautiful clothes and hats, play games, eat, drink and be merry leading up to watching the race at 3pm.

Every year, Adoring Husband and I attend some kind of Melbourne Cup function and we had every intention of doing the same thing this year.

As the day wore on, and we were sitting comfortably on our couch watching tv shows that we had recorded while in Rockhampton, I suggested to Adoring Husband that I might leave our function early today, because I wasn't really in the mood for a day at the pub.

He said "Well, stay at home then!"

... and that's exactly what we did.

We put $20 each into an on-line betting account and we bet on the horses from home.

I think it was the nicest Melbourne Cup day that I've had and I really enjoyed spending it quietly with Adoring Husband on our couch with our laptops in front of us and wearing our slobberdog 'around the house' clothes.

We spent much less money ... in fact, we both came out in front with our betting money and we were both sober at the end of the day ... and happy.

I wonder how everybody else's Melbourne Cup day went.

Pretty sure there were winners and losers and I'm pretty sure that the nation stopped for approximately three and a half minutes, to watch the big race.


This little family were perched in a tree in the park by the river.  Mum, Dad and two little babies.  Dad was in a branch much higher in the tree, so I couldn't get them all in one shot.

They didn't stop the nation, but they stopped quite a few people who were strolling in the park.

Nite all

No comments: