Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Day Twenty-two - Hands

Day Twenty-two  -  Hands


I need to harp on about Tourist season again.

This morning at the Seat of Knowledge, only Coral and Bill were there to share the glorious start to the day ... along with hundreds of tourists.

Tourists walking on the path that meanders along the river.

Tourist's children riding their scooters and bicycles and skateboards along the same path.

Tourists and their pets.

Tourists in long queues backing their boats down the boat ramp.


Tourists speeding along the river on their jet skis.

Tourists paddling their kayaks and canoes along the river.

Tourists lined up along the river bank with their folding chairs and their fishing rods.

Tourists cooking bacon and eggs on the gas barbecues at the park.

Tourists floating on foam noodles in the shallows of the river.

Tourists working themselves into a rage because there are too many tourists attempting to do all of these things at once.

My lovely sleepy little town has turned into an Anger Management Resort for the Rat Race Escapees.

I did make one satisfying discovery today about tourists...

... the river is their magnet, which makes the bushland surrounding the town a peaceful haven where I can  search out nature's gems without contending with hustle and bustle.

Honey Eater 
Wattle Bird
There are Whipbirds in the bushland too.  I heard them today.

The first I heard of Whipbirds, was at Bunya Mountains when we were there a couple of months ago.  They make a wonderful sound which has two parts.  The male sings the first part and the female finishes it.

I was so close.  They sounded about ten feet away from me, but the bushland was so dense, I just couldn't see them.

It's good to know that they are there though.

If someone had said to me ten years ago "One day, in your future, you will be creeping through bushland with a camera trying to find birds to photograph"  I would have laughed in their face.

An important lesson that I have learned in life is NEVER say NEVER!

Nite all.

No comments: