Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Day 22 in a Year of my Life

Well, if you read my post yesterday, I mentioned that the storms that were forecast, seemed to have disappeared.

I was wrong!

The news on tv showed 3 huge storm cells travelling across south east Queensland.

One of them caused major damage to areas of Brisbane and the winds were quite frightening to watch.

We looked at the radar on the Bureau of Meteorology website and watched as the nasty red and orange storm cells moved closer to where we were.

We were feeling very vulnerable in our little campervan but we made everything as secure as possible and as the storm got closer, we climbed into bed and waited it out.

It was LOUD and when we turned out the lights, the lightning show through the windows of the van was spectacular!  Then the rains came and it rained and rained and rained all night long for about 12 hours - which was also loud on the canvas that covered our beds.

Thank goodness, the winds never eventuated, so we were safe in our little camper, although this morning in the light of day, we discovered that our van leaks!

Adoring Husband informs me that the leak could affect the electrics of the van if we aren't careful ... so we will be careful!

Eventually, this morning, the rain stopped, so we decided to head off to explore some of the area.

We started at Montville where we had a delicious morning tea at The Edge Restaurant and then I did some clothes shopping in one of my favourite shops.

Lemon curd and macadamia butterfly cake - YUM!
We also visited The Master at his gallery, where he showed me some of his lightning photos from the night before.  Some people are brave enough to stand out in a storm to get the spectacular shot.  I admit that I am a bit scared of lightning, so I'm not sure if I will ever get THAT shot.

Then we had lunch at Poets Restaurant.

Crispy Duck Cake
Adoring Husband said he couldn't tell the difference between a salmon patty and this.  I think it looks and it smelled pretty darned good!

I did a little more clothes shopping and then the rains came (again) and even though Adoring Husband really wanted to go to the Maleny Cheese Factory, he drove me to two lookouts to try to get photos of lightning as the storms built over the mountains.

We didn't see any lightning.  We heard LOTS of thunder.  We watched the dark clouds building and moving quickly over the mountains.


Then we went to the Cheese Factory :D

This afternoon, we have experienced more rain, more storms with lightning and thunder.  Thankfully, no wind.

Today, I am grateful to Mother Nature for providing a spectacular couple of days worth of weather, and for withholding those nasty winds from our end of town.

We live to play another day.

We will attempt Australia Zoo tomorrow!  Let's hope the weather will be kind!

Nite all.


No comments: