Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day 180 in a Year of my Life

Psychotic dog number one is ok.  He eventually settled well last night and caused no more worry.

We got lots of unpacking done today and the container is almost empty.

We can see light at the end of the tunnel.

It will be another month before everything is back to normal.

Some new furniture is still a month away, as is the campervan and we'll be having a garage sale to get rid of some stuff that we don't need any more, or had minor damage from January.

Still there are people in town whose houses are exactly the same now, as they were the day after the tornado hit.

Insurance companies are taking their time and have sent 7, 8 and even 9 different assessors to look at the damage and still there is no decision about what needs to be done.

The town still has a path of orange tarps on roofs and it's now 3 months since the disaster.

Something should be done about it.  Who monitors these situations?  Who is there to champion the cause?  Why aren't the insurance companies being held accountable?  Where is the media now?

Anyway, don't get me started!

I saw my first turtle since the tornado and was lucky enough to catch him coming to the surface for a breath this morning.


... and a lone paddle boarder just off our beach.


So now I'm off to catch up on some sleep that the sick dog deprived me of last night.

Today, I am grateful for beautiful Autumn days that bring cleaner air to breathe, clearer water in the river and an abundance of wildlife to observe.

Nite all.

No comments: