Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, June 8, 2015

To Your Knees

Grab a tissue and sit down for this one. If this doesn't bring you to your knees, nothing will.



Yes, I am procrastinating. I should be studying, but the neighbour has his kids for the weekend and he lives in a raised house with timber floors. I swear every time they walk anywhere in the house, they are pretending to be giants, because their footsteps echo with a boom through my house and unfortunately, my office window is directly opposite his house/verandah. Boom. Boom. Boom.

It's just one of those things .. you know those little things that you just can't stop from driving you to a point close to insanity? Like the continuous sound of pigeons cooing in your back garden or like chalk on a blackboard or the touch of knitted wool to someone else. Anyway, it can't be helped, so I have to find a way to deal with it!



I had a good night's sleep .. about 7 hours last night, but I still didn't care to get up out of bed this morning. It's one of my guilty pleasures. Sitting in bed til mid morning, reading or facebooking on my iPad, or playing with my new app that teaches me about the skeleton and other body parts.

Adoring Husband bought my morning coffee and delivered it bedside for me, so I had no reason to get up til I felt like it.

I made some chicken nuggets for lunch today, with a sticky sweet and spicy sauce. Instead of using breadcrumbs, I used (what I think was) LSA, a combination of ground linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds. This mixture was in an unmarked plastic bag in my pantry. It looked and smelled like LSA, so I am assuming it was exactly that.

I coated the bite sized chicken pieces (which I cut up from boneless thighs)in tapioca flour instead of cornflour or regular flour, then egg and then LSA seasoned with Himalayan salt and cracked pepper. I baked the nuggets in the oven on a greaseproof paper lined tray for about 20 minutes on high (220C).

The crumbed coating turned out quite hard and crumbly, but not as crunchy as breadcrumbs.

The sauce was 1/2 cup raw honey, 1/3 cup of my home made spicy tomato sauce, half a teaspoon of H salt and a teaspoon of garlic powder, well combined and heated in a saucepan on the stove. The recipe that I based and modified my lunch on, stated that the sauce should be poured over the nuggets at the 20 minute mark and then cooked for a further 10 minutes in the oven, but I poured the sauce into ramekins to dip the nuggets into instead.

Served with a garden salad of baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, onion, avocado and pear.

A very pleasant lunch .. nothing to RAVE about .. but nice nonetheless. 

I guess it's time to get back to my studies. A good procrastinator knows when to stop procrastinating.

Nite all.

No comments: