Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Another Loved One Gone

This is just a brief post to honourably mention, my Dad's brother, Ken Griffin, who passed away yesterday.


He and Aunty Fay have been married 56 years this year - they were married on the same day as my Mum and Dad. They lived in Mt Isa for many years and retired to Mackay in the 90s where they did this ...

Environmental Achievement Award – Ken and Fay Griffin

Turtles throughout our region will be joining in the applause for husband and wife team Ken and Fay Griffin, worthy Environmental Achievement Award winners.

They have been volunteers for Mackay Turtle Watch Association since it was established in 1992

Over the past 23 years they have spent tireless hours observing the laying habits of turtles and monitoring and collecting vital information about the turtles that lay upon our shores.

The Griffins have passed on their experience and knowledge, training other group members.

They have also implemented information sessions for school groups and the general public, and helped families, children and individuals witness the amazing experiences of turtles laying and hatchlings emerging from nests and dashing for the sea.

Last year Mr Griffin initiated a satellite tracking program in conjunction with James Cook University (JCU) to learn more about where the turtles go when they leave our shores.

And adding to their environmental credentials, they've collected tonnes of plastic rubbish from along the region's beaches.

Their dedication is made even more remarkable by the fact that Mr Griffin's ill health means he needs portable oxygen.

Mackay Turtle Watch won a state award in 2013 and was a finalist for a national award in 2014, where they were highly commended.

This evening the Griffins were presented with this individual Australia Day honour for the role they play in this wonderful organisation.

********

Sadly, another of Dad's brothers has been fighting lung cancer for quite some time and today was given the news that he has just 8 weeks to live.

Not a good day for the Griffin family.

Uncle Ken sent me emails every Christmas and every year on my birthday, (always calling me Rozzy Pozzy, as he did when I was a little kid) and sometimes emailed me when something newsworthy happened with the family. He was a loving Dad, Gramps and Great Grandfather and the love he showed for the extended family was far reaching and warmly received. 

He and my Dad were very much alike and had the same sarcastic, dry sense of humour. They even looked alike and while that was always a comfort to me after Dad passed, it always distressed my sister who struggled to be around him.

Many years ago, our families spent a lot of time together and his oldest daughter, Terri, and I were very close. The years, and life, have widened the yawning gap between us and we seem to only catch up at funerals these days. When we are together, it still feels very comfortable though. 

It's a shocking realisation that the older generations that we loved and relied upon, are thinning out and we that are left are now the older generation being relied upon.

For now, I am feeling the love and appreciating the wonderful memories.

RIP Uncle Ken. 

Nite all.

No comments: