Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Birthday Boy

Today was Adoring Husband's 58th birthday.

We spent the day in The Bay doing bits and pieces and nothing in particular.

We had coffee at Aquavue on the waterfront, shopped at Go Natural, got some photos printed, browsed and priced some good quality coffee machines, outdoor lounge settings and some outdoor blinds. The hot Summer afternoon sun wreaks havoc on the western wall of our house making the bedrooms and bathrooms hot, steamy and uncomfortable. We hope some blinds will alleviate that problem.

I wanted to buy some shoes, but the sales attendant wanted to chat and we became deeply engrossed in a share-fest about high functioning autism and aspergers and how diet and lifestyle have a profound affect. Her youngest of three children is high functioning and she was describing all the changes that she has made and how incredibly their lives have improved over the last few months.

By the time we finished chatting, I decided to not leave AH sitting alone in the car any longer .. especially taking into account that it was his birthday!

For something different, AH decided on lunching at the RSL Club, but it was extremely crowded, the queue in the bistro was a mile long and there were no free tables in the eating area, so we made a quick exit and drove back to an 'old faithful' instead.

At the Wild Lotus, we enjoyed a delicious lunch. Three courses for AH and two for me. I had a couple of Sav Blancs and AH drank a light beer. It was quiet and relaxing. Good food and good service. My shout.


We picked up some dry cleaning that we had forgotten from a couple of weeks ago and stopped for some groceries and some halloween decorations, finally arriving home after 4pm.

I'm looking forward to Halloween now - we have never acknowledged this American holiday before, but it seems the kids are getting more and more 'into' it, so we're happy to join in the fun.

I had only sat down at home for about 10 minutes when the doorbell rang and there stood my back neighbour with my brand new hand-made table setting of six place mats and a table runner. She is a quilter and I commissioned her to make these for me, asking for bright colours, with lots of yellow.

Well, she couldn't have made them more perfect if she tried. I'm over the moon with the result and with her fabulous colour choices! I was going to set up my table with the table cloth, place settings and new dinner setting so that I could take a photo, but the table is covered in bags of money that AH counted out of his money tins this afternoon.

I will do it tomorrow and share it here.

We had a very light dinner tonight and because it was his birthday, I gave AH the night off from his kitchen clean up duties.

I have another big day ahead of me tomorrow, and it's fast approaching midnight, so I'd best get some sleep.

Nite all.

No comments: