Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Geographically Shared

Foreign Correspondent, Stan Grant, is a Griffith boy. He lived in the same street (Housing Commission area, Parkinson Crescent) as I did, though not at the same time. My son went to the same school as Stan.

The 'Three Ways', where the majority of the indigenous community lived, was just across the paddock from us and watching this episode of Home Delivery sure brought back some unpleasant memories for me.

It feels strange to me, that when Stan's family was given a housing commission home to live in, they felt like all of their dreams had come true, yet when I, as a single mother with three very young children, was offered a home on the very same street, I felt like my life had become a nightmare.

We lived in that street for three long years from the end of 1988 til early 1992. Our next door neighbour once had a molotov cocktail thrown on his front porch during the night, and there was a siege directly across the road from us, where armed police were hiding behind the trees on our front yard with guns drawn, and the street was blocked by police cars.

We survived on a pension for two of those years. I had some cleaning work to supplement the pension until one day I decided to complete an administration course at TAFE. I immediately snagged work at the CES and within a year, we were able to move into our own home, shabby as it was, in a better area.

Stan has certainly come a long way since his days in Parkinson Cres!! While he feels the happy emotions welling up within as he drives through his old stomping ground, I feel old repressed fears bubbling within, and shame that I ever forced my children to endure that.

It was possibly the lowest point in my life, BUT, at the same time,  my circle of friends, which included BGWLBH, provided strong support for me, so I never felt alone in the world.

My parents even gave me the opportunity to move to Blackwater to be closer to them, but my stubborn desire for independence kept me living in the worst street in Griffith for a long time. I believe that it was the right decision for us at the time.

So that is a little snippet of mine and Stan Grant's lives. Though the two of us have never even met, I do know his mate Richard (Ditchy)!

A short trip down memory lane.

Nite all.

No comments: