Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Lunch with the Man

Date day with Adoring Husband was both pleasant and disappointing.

We had lunch at Kondari Resort.

I've eaten there three times before. Each time, pork belly was on the specials board and classed as gluten free. It was delicious.

There was no pork belly today. When I asked what food was gluten free, the girl replied 'steak'. But I couldn't have everything on the steak menu because they couldn't guarantee that the potato mash was gluten free ... they buy it in bulk, already made, and they don't know what the ingredients are! There could be fillers that contain gluten.

The other issue I had with the steak, is that it was specifically labelled as 'grain finished' beef. Some celiacs are sensitive enough that grain (wheat is a grain) finished steak can cause problems. I don't think I'm one of those people, but nonetheless, I declined the steak.

There was one item on the specials board for entree, which was fresh Queensland king prawns served on a salsa of pineapple and avocado. They wouldn't serve a 'main' size, so AH ordered me two entree sizes!

There were four very large king prawns in each serve and about two tablespoons of salsa on each plate. The salsa was quite unpleasant. Whatever the dressing was, had an unpleasant after taste, so I only had one taste of it. I peeled and ate the bland and tasteless king prawns, which were very fresh, but had no flavour.

The nicest part of my meal was the glass of Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc.

AH had the grilled Barramundi which also lacked flavour.

Very disappointing.

We had earlier checked the restaurant 'Coast' which had nothing marked gluten free on their menu. We also checked out 'The Vineyard' menu, but it was the same - nothing marked GF - which is why we continued on to Kondari.

Highly likely we won't return.

Later, we were at Stocklands and while AH was purchasing tape in the newsagent, I went to order some takeaway coffees from Jamaica Blue. There was nobody sitting in the eating area. One lady was paying for her order and in front of me, were two ladies, who were together, ordering their lunch with coffee.

The girl who was taking orders, was painfully slow and way too friendly! Of course, customer service requires a happy and friendly attitude, but it was as if she wanted to be everybody's best friend and initiated and nurtured long, unnecessary conversations to the point that I stood there for almost 15 minutes, by which time she still didn't even look close to serving me. I said to AH "I'm sick of waiting. Let's go."

There were lots of EOFY sales on in all of the shops at Stocklands. I searched for a short sleeved, collared white shirt to no avail. Can you believe that something so simple could be so difficult to find? I bought a couple of necklaces at 50% off.

Earlier in the day, we stopped at Pillow Talk and I found some lovely photo frames at half price and two framed quotes that took my fancy. They will look great in my new study!

I wore all black today. When I lived in Griffith, I wore black most of the time. My wardrobe held very little colour. I had half a dozen pairs of black trousers, black or dark coloured tops, black shoes and boots, and black jackets and coats. I still wear a lot of black at night when we go out, but my day time attire is pretty colourful these days.

Today I wore black jeans, black boots, a black shirt and a black vest. Lots of silver jewellery to accessorise. Adoring Husband loved it and said that it reminded him of when we first met! On our way out of town, we stopped at the shops to get coffee and check the mail and I received lots of compliments from the girls who work there.

On the way home, we stopped there again and the second shift of girls all commented. I am surprised! I felt very 'out of place' in black .. you don't see people wearing black in Queensland very often.

Anyway, it was nice to spend the day with Adoring Husband, even if our restaurant choice wasn't a happy one and I'm glad my black attire brought back fond memories for him :)

Another night of Wimbledon with Sam Stosur playing right now (and has lost the first set). Bernard Tomic, Daria Gavrilova and John Millman all play tonight. One Aussie, whose name is not familiar to me, Matthew Barton, has already won his match. I think I'll change into my pyjamas and make myself comfortable. It could be a long night.

Before I go, if you have time before 2.30pm Friday, watch this movie "What's with Wheat?". It's free to view until about 4pm, but it goes for an hour and twenty minutes. Very interesting and educational. I have ordered the dvd, so anybody here in town can borrow my copy later if you wish. 

Nite all.  

1 comment:

❦❧Judi❦❧ said...

What a shame about the slow service at Jamaica Blue Roz. It is my favourite place to eat (Chicken, Avo Penne Salad) and coffee. The service in this particular JB is both speedy and friendly! And, they have the best rewards card system that I know of (apart from Witchery!). Every single time I go there I get a free coffee!