Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

It's an Art!

I read a story today about 'The Art of Doing Nothing'.

People, especially women, feel it necessary to always be doing something. They feel it necessary to fill their day with activity. People feel guilty for just sitting .. and if they do just sit, they are watching the clock and thinking about what they're going to do when they've finished sitting!

When was the last time that you just sat, alone? No technology, including TV, phone or tablet.  No book or magazine or newspaper. No guilt. Absolutely no distractions whatsoever.

To sit alone with just your thoughts for unlimited time. No music. No clock watching. No thinking about what you SHOULD be doing. Slow down, look within, see and feel how you're doing.

Do less, feel more.

We're always doing for others or doing what we feel is our duty. Whether it's babysitting, caring for a sick loved one, being a wife or husband, cleaning the house, doing the washing, gardening, grocery shopping, visiting our parents, working, paying the bills, taking care of our personal hygiene, doctor's appointments, being a mother or father, grooming the pets, planning meals, fitness & health classes and the list goes on, there is rarely any time left for 'doing nothing'.

I'm talking about people of my generation and older, who don't have full time jobs.

It makes me wonder how, in my younger days, I shared myself between a full time job, three children, a partner, my friends, the house and all of those other duties mentioned above. What about people who have to travel distances to work? That cuts their time even further!

So basically, the whole world is running on empty. There is no time to refuel or gather your thoughts or think about the meaning of your life. The world is robotic. Working long hours to earn enough money to afford the house, the cars, the holidays, the kid's sports and education, the current technology etc etc etc.

I think I've 'almost' mastered the Art of doing nothing (just ask Adoring Husband!). My favourite way to do nothing, is to sit by the river, alone, watching the world go by, while thinking deep thoughts.

My favourite deep thoughts are the ones where I feel incredibly grateful for the life that I have. I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones. A great husband, healthy beautiful loving kids, a perfect grandchild, a roof over my head, wonderful friends and unlimited opportunities to practise any craft that takes my fancy, regular road trips with my BFF, living in a caring and supportive community... what more could a girl want?

It's almost 11pm and I need to be up early for work. Adoring Husband will return from Sydney tomorrow (Monday) at lunch time and my world will return to 'normal'.

Nite all.

No comments: