Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Crazy in the Kitchen

I've spent quite a bit of time in the kitchen today. It's cook up time!

I have oxtail casserole in the slow cooker as I type.

I made a variation of beef stroganoff this morning. I used plain coconut yoghurt instead of sour cream and, as a thickener, I used pureed vegetables.

Because I don't use flour, and I'm not keen on the consistency of tapioca flour as a thickener, I cooked up a big pot of sweet potato, zucchini, carrot, cauliflower and celery, then pureed it in the blender with some seasoning. It worked beautifully and added lots of extra flavour.

The added benefit of having so many vegetables in the sauce, is that if I don't feel like cooking anything to go with the stroganoff, I know that it has enough goodness in it, on it's own.

I made a triple batch of the vegetable puree, so it will help thicken the oxtail casserole and the curried chicken.

I made up a big pot of curry sauce for the chicken, before realising that I had put the chicken in the freezer last night, so now I have chicken thawing on my kitchen sink and a sauce waiting for it's meat.

Tomorrow will be fish curry, Hainan chicken and spaghetti bolognese sauce. I'd like to find the time to cook up a big batch of chicken and pork meatballs with sweet spicy dipping sauce.

We've had a whole duck in our freezer for a couple of months now, and I recently found a paleo recipe for spicy whole roasted duck, so I might do that on Monday or Tuesday.

It's also time to do a complete clean out of the pantry and fridge, so that might be a tomorrow or Monday chore. So much to do!

I hope you all remembered to vote today! If only we could fine the politicians for each election promise they break after they are elected. $100,000 fine for each broken promise. I wonder if that would keep them more honest?

Tonight, I discovered that there was a 50th birthday party in Griffith that I wasn't invited to! However, it warmed the cockles of my heart to see this group all together to celebrate The Big Little Man's birthday. I miss this group. We had such fun times together back in the day.


It was also great to see BGWLBH in attendance and looking so happy!

Congratulations to Adoring Husband, whose footy team, Cronulla Sharks won again tonight and broke their all time winning streak record! They are certainly looking solid this year.

Now it's time to stop watching the election results on TV and switch over to the tennis for some more enjoyable viewing pleasure.

Nite all.
 

No comments: