Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Monday, January 9, 2017

10 out of 10

Yes, today is day ten of 2017 and Christmas is over ... except for us and our neighbours.

Our Christmas lights are still up and flashing brightly every night.

Every year I tell Adoring Husband that we MUST have all the lights and decorations down before the 6th January, otherwise we will have an unlucky year.

Every year, our lights and decorations are still up well after the 6th, but at least this year, the decorations inside the house, and the tree, are down and packed away.

For now, I will apologise to our neighbours for the annoying flashing lights that continue well into the new year.

Yes darling, in case you were wondering, that's a hint :)

I started this morning with an hour of reading in bed. It was very relaxing until Adoring Husband came home from mowing at the shops and proceeded to whipper snip and mow our lawns.

I'm not complaining about him doing this important household chore, and he does a good job, but the psychotic dogs live up to their name for the duration of the job. Jack in particular, freaks out, hyperventilates and needs to have his body touching mine until the noise stops.

Since Jack sleeps in a pen in our bedroom, the sound of his stressful panting was enough to get me out of bed to start my day.

Which is a good thing I suppose!

I showered and dressed and headed off on my trike, just as Adoring Husband completed the outdoor work.

I rode to the beach, parked my trike, kicked off my thongs and headed down the stairs towards the soft sand and the receding tide.

Nothing pleases me more than discovering that the caravan parks are emptying and the tourists are thinning, and our town is slowly returning to normal.

Except for two kids paddling in the shallows, I was the only one on the beach, so I decided to lift my spirits by singing and dancing and splashing through the shallow pools.

I sang "You are my Sunshine" and "You Make Me So Very Happy" and "Tea for Two" (a bit random that one) and I raised my arms towards the sky and spin around like Julie Andrews on the mountian in "The Sound of Music" and I skipped and side stepped and kicked at the water.

The water in the pools was surprisingly cool and I enjoyed a good thirty minutes out on the flats, chasing the water as the tide went out.

I 'ran' up the steps to my trike (and as a side message to The Nikonian, I didn't require CPR!).

From there, I did some grocery shopping and visited the butcher, then returned home.

I decided that before I could unpack the groceries, the fridge was in desperate need of a clean out, so I spent about 45 minutes cleaning the fridge and repacking it.

The slow cooker was dragged out of the cupboard and I prepared a whole chicken by stuffing it with butter, lemon and garlic then popped it in the pot for 5 hours on high.

By now it was 11am, so I spent an hour in my workspace before I made lunch.

A chicken burger with toasted GF bread. Delicious!

Before I could get back to my desk, I had to hang out some washing and bring some in off the line.

I got quite a lot done on my website in three hours this afternoon, so I was feeling pretty pleased with myself, but soon I had to return to the kitchen to finish preparing dinner. I made a big tray of roast veg. Parsnip, turnip, pumpkin, sweet potato, potato, garlic, capsicum, chilli, cherry tomatoes and onion, drizzled with honey, sprinkled with salt n pepper and chopped fresh rosemary.

I took the juices from the cooked chicken and thickened it with some tapioca flour for gravy.


 

Presentation leaves a lot to be desired! I need to practice my presentation skills for the recipe page of my website.

That is a very large plate of food for AH, who ate the whole lot!

After dinner, I got to spend another hour at my desk before I joined AH to watch some cricket. He retired to the bedroom about an hour ago and it's now 9.30pm, so I'm going for an early night.

It's been a big day, I have achieved much and I'm feeling satisfied. I have coffee with the girls tomorrow morning, but I might make my way down to the beach for some more singing and dancing to start my day.

Nite all.


No comments: