Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

No Show

It seems that we must be the only town in Australia that is not sweltering in ridiculously hot temperatures!

I admit that it is warm, but nothing like NSW and central QLD. I will, however, be putting my pyjamas under the cold water tap and wringing them out before I put them on tonight. The breeze from the fan will keep me cool in wet PJs!

Our bedroom is the hottest room in the house in Summer. It's situated on the front corner of the house, so two walls are on the West and South side of the house and have direct sun for most of the afternoon. With the air conditioning still out of order, it makes for quite an uncomfortable temperature.

I pedalled down to the Seat of Knowledge and spent twenty minutes with the boys this morning before making my way to the beach for a short walk. The tide was high, which only leaves a short stretch of beach accessible, but I walked up to my knees in the shallows and the water was very cool and refreshing.


I went to check the mail and grabbed a couple of groceries from the supermarket, but while I was there, a little old lady was pushing a trolley through the aisles and she stopped me and said "I really love your hat"

I thanked her and we discussed where I bought it and that it was on it's last legs, when she said "Every time I come here for holidays, I look for you, because you are my 'symbol' of this town and my holiday, with your hat and your trike."

How cool is that!? She made me feel very special!

By the time I arrived home, it was 11am, so after a bit of fluffing about, I made some smoked salmon roll ups for Adoring Husband's lunch and then prepared dinner - we would be away from home at Best Cousin in the World's farm in Gundiah all afternoon, and it would be too late to muck around in the kitchen by the time we returned.

We left at 1pm for Gundiah. The LeReve party was to start at 2.30pm and it takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to reach their front door.

I was concerned when we drove up to the house, that Stephanie's car was not there.

Sure enough, when 2.30pm came and went, Best Cousin in the World phoned Stephanie, to discover that she had no idea there was even going to be a party today!! Eight people were sitting on the verandah in the hot weather, expecting to see and smell some oils, perfumes and reed diffusers!

Luckily, I took my catalogue with me, so everybody had a look and got to order what they wanted. Apparently, we will all receive a free gift for our troubles.

At least we got to enjoy this ...


I can't even tell you how beautiful it looked in real life, with the colourful edible flowers scattered through so many different fruits which were then splashed with pieces of, and the juice of a pomegranate.  All of the fruit was delicious, as was the cheese and dips. It really was spectacular.

While the party was 'not' happening, Adoring Husband and Marco Polo headed down to the river, where they climbed into the kayaks and paddled up the river for a spot of fishing. AH had a ball. So much so, that he has been pricing kayaks this evening.

While Best Cousin in the World is away next week, AH is going to have a day with MP on the river. He's very much looking forward to it!

We said our goodbyes at about 4.30pm and I was hoping to stop at the fruit n veg van on the way home to buy some lychees, but it was right on 5pm by the time we reached the spot and we had big trucks right on our clackers.

It amazes me how truck drivers complain when cars pull in front of them because they don't have enough room to stop in an emergency .. but it doesn't seem to stop them from choosing to sit so close to our tail that we can't even see their number plate in the rear view mirror!

Thankfully, we arrived home safe n sound at about 5.50pm.

Oh I forgot to mention that AH has finally taken down the Christmas lights from outside the house!!

Right now, it's 9.30pm and it might be time for me to head to bed.

Nite all.  



No comments: