Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Friday, February 10, 2017

A Bubbly Day

What a great day!

I started by packing a box with some of my purchases and walking to the post office to send it home. While I was there, I asked if they still had my sunglasses that I left behind 18 months ago ... I know ... wishful thinking. They weren't there.

Bubbles and I had agreed to meet at Westfield Miranda for breakfast and we chose Rubyniks restaurant where I thoroughly enjoyed French Toast with bacon, caramelised banana and maple syrup. YUM. Bubbles selected a chicken and avocado wrap.

For drinks, we chose a chocolate thick shake and a fresh juice drink of orange, pineapple, watermelon and coconut water. I'm sure you can guess which drink went with which person haha.

I bought another journal (seriously!) and a plaque with my favourite quote from AA Milne.

We decided to bring them back to the motel room before catching the train to Cronulla to see this movie ...



It was a great movie. Very emotional, stirring, shaming and uplifting. The cinema was quite full so there were some animated responses throughout, and then a round of applause at the end.

We did some browsing and shopping on the way back to the train station and we caught the train to Caringbah, where we alighted and headed to Bubbles's house.

I haven't seen the last two houses that she has lived in, so I thought it was time to go for a visit, even though it was 39C and a decent walk from the station. It contributed to my 11,000 steps (according to my watch) for the day. Her house is a beautiful old place with some of the original fittings dating back to 50s or 60s.

Bubbles had a shower and got changed and we called for a taxi to take us to the motel at about 6pm. After an hour and four texts from the taxi company telling us that there was a delay, Bubbles suggested that I download the Uber app and book a car.

So I did.

It took 'Dan' less than 5 minutes to arrive at our doorstep in a luxury car with lovely air conditioning. He was wonderful and the trip cost me $9. The last time I caught a taxi, it cost me $16 for a shorter distance.

Then tonight, when we left Miranda Diggers RSL after dinner, we walked to the motel and I booked another Uber driver to take Bubbles home. It was this driver's second day on the job and he got a little lost on his way to the motel. What should have taken 3 minutes to reach us, took about 8 minutes, but Bubbles said he was lovely and got her home safe n sound.

So, in my opinion, Uber rocks!

I have a big day ahead of me tomorrow, and it's almost 1am, so I'd best get some sleep!

Nite all.

No comments: