Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Declutter Day One

I woke up late, relaxed in bed until 10.30am and decided that I would spend the morning doing the last thing on yesterday's declutter list that I told you about. That is, clearing the dressing table and culling my jewellery.

I decided to spend the morning doing that and then the afternoon at my desk.

What a joke.

I spent two and a half hours clearing and culling, then stopped to make lunch. Adoring Husband was working, mowing the lawns at the shops so he needed sustenance in between jobs.

Before I got back to the culling, I had to package up the chicken broth that I'd had simmering overnight, so that took up a bit of time - especially because I spilt half a container on the floor!! I called the dogs in to do some of the cleaning job for me, but only one of them was interested in licking it up and she took too long, so I had no choice but to do the entire job myself.

After that, it took me more than an hour to finish clearing and culling the jewellery.

I threw away a whole shopping bag of jewellery, cardboard tags off clothes, jewellery cleaning cloths, Friday night raffle tickets (that I'd been saving up to put into the bucket for the end of month draw - but I NEVER remember to take them so they are GONE now), pens and old make up.

I tossed all of those single earrings that I'd kept in case I ever found it's partner. I got rid of broken chains, or chains that I hadn't worn in years. I threw away all the old rings that I'd bought at markets and crystal shops - the ones that I never wear because they require constant cleaning. Everything that was broken - that I intended on repairing, but never got around to it  -  is now gone.

I'm certain that I could probably go through it all tomorrow and cull half as much stuff again. There are items that I no longer wear, but which have such amazing memories attached, that I just can't part with them. Quite a few pieces that belonged to my Mum and I know that my girls won't want them when I'm gone, but I just can't let them go yet. Jewellery that I made myself and I no longer wear, but 'might' in the future.

My beautiful leather jewellery box needs replacing, but this was the first birthday present that Adoring Husband gave me thirteen years ago and I don't want to let it go. Both the locks on it are broken, which means that the entire front wall of the box has to lay open permanently. Maybe AH can find a way to fix it for me.

It was well after 3pm when I finally finished this chore! By this time, the first footy match of the day was half over, so I sat down with my coffee that Adoring Husband brought home for me and put my feet up.

So far, I have all the footy tips correct this week. The game that I was worried about last night ended up having a result in my favour when they ended the 80 minutes tied and it went into golden point. My team kicked the field goal to win by one point!! The final score 25-24.

Right now, Sharks are playing Manly. I've tipped Sharks and they are losing by 7 points at half time. Eep. Adoring Husband (who is a big Sharks supporter) can't handle the stress and has opted to sit outside and read his book!

I would like, very much, to spend the entire day tomorrow, at my desk, however, my mind keeps directing me to the linen cupboard in the laundry, so I'll wait until tomorrow morning and decide then what I deem to be more important.

For now, I'm watching the end of the footy, before starting on my duck dinner.

Nite all.

No comments: