Nice to see you!

Three major events occurred for me last year (2010), all in the space of about 2 weeks. I turned 50. The following day I got married. Two weeks later, my oldest daughter became pregnant with her first child and my first grandchild.

Most middle-aged people will tell you that in their minds, they still feel 20 something. It's the same for me.

Wasn't it only yesterday that I was planning a night out with guys from the surf club? That gorgeous new perm. Flaired, cuffed denims and the red t-shirt with the off-the-shoulder frill. Corked platform wedgies. **sigh**

Suddenly I'm looking in the mirror and wondering how 30 years can flash by so damned quickly!

So here I am in cyberspace, sharing my genuine shock and horror with anyone who'll listen and maybe I'll even meet some other over 50s who find themselves in the same predicament!

Welcome to my dilemna!!

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Day Eight of the Selfie Road Trip

We've been laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing over the most ridiculous things!

Things that nobody else would find even remotely funny.

I just tried to read that first line to BGWLBH but I couldn't because it made me laugh too hard.

So I gave this iPad to her so that she could read it herself and she laughed so hard she got tears!

Nope! No alcohol involved!

Anyway!

We absolutely loved Merimbula and Pambula Beach. Even though they were cold and windy, they are beautiful parts of the world that you could never tire of and the colour of the water was the most spectacular blue. Breathtaking!

Eden was another place that we loved. Gale force winds on the day, so bad that a cruise ship was supposed to dock so that the passengers could have a shopping day there, but the seas were too rough and they couldn't stop!

The local businesses were expecting 2000+ people through the town that day and all they got were us.

We drove to Mellacoota and Gipsy Point. Both stunningly beautiful. The drive through lush green forests and farmland to get there and finding little patches of paradise waiting for us. Gipsy Point in particular. Heaven.

I photographed the blue fairy wren at Gipsy Point and the koala at Mellacoota.

There was also lot of unexpected wildlife, like a Lyrebird walking in the middle of the road and a giant goanna!

Today I learned that horses and cows point their butts towards rain and storms!

We stayed in Orbost last night and slept surprisingly well.

When BGWLBH suggested that we have breakfast in Orbost, I scoffed and said "I doubt we'll find anything decent here", but the first cafe that we found had delicious food, friendly staff, great coffee and fabulous little stories of affirmation to read. A great start to the day.

We found a couple of little second hand stores to browse through and a gift store owned by a very chatty woman named Ros. I stopped at a deli/green grocer/butcher to grab some fresh fruit and the owner was up for a chat giving directions to some more hidden gems for us to visit.

Marlo and Cape Conran were first on our list for today and we were not disappointed. Really lovely out-of-the-way coastal villages, like Burrum Heads, sitting on both a river and an ocean. We didn't stay long at Cape Conran because there was a big storm bearing down on us, so we hightailed it out of there to outrun the storm.

On the way to Lakes Entrance, we stopped to photograph a raptor hunting in the trees and some black cockies flying overhead. I'll share those photos here when we stay somewhere with Internet!

Before we reached Lakes Entrance, a storm hit us and we had some hairy travel for a little while, but survived the ordeal.

Our time here in LE has been grey and dreary and wet and stormy so far. Big thunder and lightning this afternoon.

Tomorrow, we plan on going as far as Sale and then we will turn around and start heading north again via a different route.

Our plans for The Great Ocean Road have been slightly diverted and we've left it on our bucket list for future road trips.

So far, this has probably been our best road trip yet. Lots of new places and interesting people and we've really focussed on second hand shops, op shops and antique stores - all easy to find in small country towns. Crazy laughter, loud singalongs and ridiculousness that can't be explained.

It's after midnight and I need some sleep.

Nite all.

No comments: